xi.

Dragonstone

They were getting everything ready for their departure. Most of their stuff was already in Velaryon ships, and those ships were about to sail off with Joffery, Baela, Rhaena, Cregan and Corlys. Jalyssa had taken to help Cregan and his people pack up again, slightly apologetic at their change of scenery so fast.

"I must express my apologies, Lord Stark. I did not intend your stay at Dragonstone to be cut short so quickly, and I assume neither did you."

Cregan just sighs lightly and gives her a small smile, stepping away from the ship. He goes towards her and grabs her hands, kissing then respectfully. "It is alright, Princess. I know that with you, life is always exciting and nothing ever goes the way it intends to be. In fact, I rather like it. Makes me realize our marriage won't be a boring one."

Jalyssa laughs at the twinkle in Cregan's eyes and at his words. She nods in agreement, knowing trouble has always followed her. It shouldn't surprise her that things haven't change even when she was back with her family. She leans into to give Cregan a quick kiss on the cheek before whispering in his ear.

"Keep my brothers safe, will you? I trust Lord Corlys enough, but it lightens my heart to know that you'll be with them."

"Aye, Princess. I will guard them as if they were my own brothers."

"Thank you," she breathes out. She backs away from him as Lord Corlys exclaims that the ships are ready to sail off. She gives him a nod and a smile, which Cregan mirrors, then watches the the Lord of Winterfell enters the ship.

She feels her family members joining her in watching the departure of the ship's to Kings Landing and can't help but feel that their journey to Kings Landing will mark a significantly important chapter in their lives. Jalyssa just hopes that all of her family survives it.

She sighs once more and turns around as the ships are finally away from eye sight. She catches Jacaerys' eye and gives her twin a nod. Jalyssa then turns to her mother who is still staring at the sea, rubbing her hands in worry. "Mother," she starts softly, "May Jacaerys and I be excused?"

That snaps Rhaenyra into reality who looks at her two eldest children with a smile. "Of course, my loves. We shall have dinner together, yes? Don't be late."

Both Jalyssa and Jacaerys nod in agreement. Jalyssa then grabs her brother's hand and tugs him towards the Dragonmont. She is glad she decided to wear her riding leathers as opposed to a dress. Even if she had no intention on riding Vermithor, the clothes soothed her mind. A reminder that she finally had the one thing she always felt was missing. A dragon.

"Are we going dragonriding? I fear I haven't the adequate clothes for it, sister." Jacaerys' tone is stiff, and Jalyssa hates it. Hates that she's the reason for it.

Jalyssa ignores Jacaerys' words until they've reached the Dragonmont. Neither of them dare go inside but both Velaryon twin's can sense the Valyrian magics inside, can feel the calls of the dragons. She lets Jacaerys' hand go and turns to her twin, who is staring at her with a furrowed brow and a clenched jaw.

"Must you be so callous towards me, brother? What have I done to earn your ire, or even worse, your indifference?" Let it be said that Jalyssa Velaryon didn't beat around the bush.

"Whatever do you mean, sister?"

It must be the Strong genes that have made her brother so stubborn. She feels like smacking him upside the head but wills herself to calm down. It wouldn't be comely to beat the future Heir of the Iron Throne senseless.

"You are mad at my betrothal to Lord Cregan, and my closeness with him. Why?"

She knows why, or has an inkling towards it. She had confided in Daemon of it, but she wishes to either be confirmed of those thoughts by her brother or be proved wrong.

Jacaerys huffs and finally looks away from her, the tips of his ears a deep red. "Is it not the duty of a brother to wish to protect his sister from any other man?"

"In other families, yes that may very well be the case," she answers, giving Jacaerys a strained smile. "But in our house, that is one of the possibilities. The other is far more..." she trails off, looking at Jacaerys from under her lashes. "queer."

Here's the thing:

Jacaerys isn't the only one with complicated feelings. When she was younger, she was relegated with stories of the Targaryen's and their Valyrian customs. Had heard all about Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister-wives, Rhaenys and Visenya Targaryen. The Old King Jahaerys' wife was his own sister, Alyssane herself. She heard of so many of her family members marrying each other, past or present, that she was used to it. She had thought that she would live that too one day. And who would she be marrying? Well, Jacaerys of course. He was her twin bother, the other half of her soul. Of course she thought they were going to get married. She even dreamed of it at times, having a massive wedding, like the one's her mother used to tell her about. And then she moved to the North, and everything changed. She learned that marriages were sometimes used as tactical alliances, and as a daughter of the crown, her hand was a precious one. She was glad she was being married off to someone she already held affections for, but it didn't mean it was what she wished for when she was younger.

Jalyssa sighs and once more steps closer to Jacaerys. She gently grasps his face and moves it so he's looking at her once more. She tips his head down so their foreheads are touching. They both close their eyes to embrace the moment.

"I'm sorry, Jace."

Jacaerys huffs but doesn't move from their position. His hands have strayed around her waist, seemingly comfortable to hold her closer to him.

"It isn't your fault," her brother finally says. Jalyssa just hums in response, knowing her brother isn't done talking. "I know it is our duty as Targaryen's to ensure what is best for the crown, for the Kingdom itself. And I am glad you weren't married off to some fat lord old enough to be your grandfather. I just..."

I just wish it would have been me. Those are the words that go unsaid but both Velaryon twins know that the implication was there.

"Don't fret brother mine," Jalyssa finally murmurs, moving her forehead away from Jace's. She hears her brother whine a bit and just laughs. She looks at him then darts quickly to kiss his jaw. "My attentions won't be away from you for long. After all, you are my future King. My loyalties lie with you." She gives him a wink then quickly darts away, knowing Jacaerys will follow her.