iii.

Kings Landing

"Jalyssa Velaryon!"

Those words made the Princess stop short, her twin brother crashing into her back. "What happened?" Jacaerys childishly asks, wanting to know why his sister suddenly stopped walking.

"I think mother is onto us," Jalyssa whispers, turning to look at Jacaerys with wide eyes. At four name days old, both children have the same chubby cheeks and unruly brown hair. Though Jacaerys is older by mere minutes, he doesn't act like it. Jalyssa is the one to take on a leadership role when it comes to the both of them, plus little Lucerys when their mother allows him to play with them.

"Uh oh," Jacaerys replies, giving Jalyssa a wide eyed look of his own. Both children are about to sprint away when suddenly two large hands grabbed at the collars of their clothes.

"Not so fast, Prince and Princess."

Both Velaryon twins groan upon hearing that voice, knowing that their adventure was being cut short. They turn and look up to find Ser Harwin looking at them with an amused expression. Before either of them could get a word in, Rhaenyra power walks into the room they're in.

"Jalyssa and Jacaerys Velaryon! Where do you think you two are going!?"

Jacaerys immediately lowers his gaze, never wanting to bare the brunt of his mother's ire. Jalyssa on the other hand, stares directly at Rhaenyra, posture straight and gaze filled with determination.

"Jacaerys wanted to see Vermax! It has been days since we have been allowed in the dragonpit, mother. A rider and his dragon shall always make the effort to strengthen their bond at any opportunity possible, that is was Father says!"

Laenor, who was also walking in, startles at the mention of him. Rhaenyra turns to glare at him before returning her gaze onto her children, softening at the looks of both Jalyssa and Jacaerys. She picks up her skirts and kneels down so she at the level of he children. She grabs one of their hands into her own and kisses them.

"I know you're anxious to see Vermax, Jace, but you should know that going to the dragon pit alone is dangerous. You can get lost or worse, hurt and I nor your father would know."

At the mention of worrying their parents, the twins have an identical set of pouts and teary eyes. Rhaenyra leans to kiss them on their forehead and then straightens up. "Come, it is time for a bath. Your grandfather has invited us to dine with him and the Queen, we must look presentable."

-

"Jalyssa, come into my chambers please. I wish to speak to you, my sweet," Rhaenyra says as she finishes combing Jacaerys' and Lucerys' hair. She hands Lucerys to Laenor and motions for him to go. The Prince nods and places a hand on Jacaerys' shoulder, urging the young Prince to follow him. Jacaerys frowns, look at Rhaenyra and Jalyssa with worry.

Rhaenyra smiles softly at her son. "Go, Jace. Lyssa and I will join you and your father soon at grandfather's table, okay?"

With one last worried glance, Jacaerys allows Laenor to pull him away. Once they are gone, Rhaenyra guides Jalyssa to her chambers and sits down on her bed, motioning for her daughter to do the same. Jalyssa adheres to her mother's wishes and sits on the bed, looking at Rhaenyra with big brown eyes filled with worry.

"What is it mother? Is it about going to the dragon pit to see Vermax?"

Rhaenyra huffs out a small laugh and smooths over her daughter's hair, giving Jalyssa a small smile. "No, my sweet. Although I hope you understand why you and your brother mustn't wander off alone, hmm?"

"Yes, mother," Jalyssa says, giving a small pout before brightening again. "But when I claim my own dragon, you needn't have to worry so much! I'll have them protect me, Jace and Luke!"

"Oh really? And what dragon do you think you'll claim?" Rhaenyra asks, indulging her child in this fantasy. It broke her heart that Jalyssa's dragon egg hadn't hatched while both Jacaerys' and Lucerys' had, but her sweet girl wasn't bitter about it. She always assured her parents with ferocity that she would one day have a dragon that would protect them all.

"Vermirthor and Silverwing are still unclaimed in Dragonstone according to father and grandfather, but maybe I'll get another dragon egg that may hatch this time! I just know I'll be a dragon rider, one of the best, like you mother!"

Rhaenyra's heart swells with pride at how well spoken her daughter was at merely four years old. Ever since she could speak and walk, Jalyssa always seemed more mature for her age, in comparison to Jacaerys anyways. Rhaenyra thought this was due to the gods knowing the obstacles she would face in the coming years.

"So, what is it you wanted to speak of, mother?"

Rhaenyra takes a deep breath, her heart hammering inside her chest. "You know that you and your brother turn five name days in two moons time, yes?" At Jalyssa's nod, Rhaenyra continues. "Your grandsire is throwing you and your brother a name day celebration where many lords of the kingdom will come. The likes of House Lannister, Baratheon, even my mother's house Arryn will attend. The Stark's will also be in attendance. At the end of the celebrations, you will be leaving with the Stark's, I do not know for how long."

Jalyssa's lip wobbles and tears welled up in her eyes, "Will Jacaerys be able to go with me?"

Giving her a sad smile, Rhaenyra bends her head down to kiss Jalyssa's hair three times. "No, sweet girl. You know how I've told you that one day I will inherit grandfather's throne, and one day Jacaerys will do the same as well with Lucerys with grandfather Corlys?"

"You said it was our duty as Targaryen's."

"Exactly. And it is your duty to go to the North and learn all of what Lord Rickon Stark will teach you."

The little girl worries at her lip in contemplation but then eventually nods. "I will do my duty."

Rhaenyra smiles, proud of her daughter but her heart hurts at the fact that this little girl of four years is more mature than most lords of the kingdom. She knows Jalyssa will make her proud in everything she does.

——
jalyssa: no jacaerys no life
hope you enjoyed! lmk what you thought?