viii.

Dragonstone

"Princess, there's a raven from Winterfell waiting for you."

Jalyssa's head snaps up hearing those words. She was breaking her fast with her family, their spirits still high following her claim of Vermithor. She accepts the letter and hastily opens it.

Princess Jalyssa Velaryon,

I'm right behind you, see you in three days.

— Lord Cregan Stark, Warden of the North

"What a cunt!" She exclaims, but soon apologizes for her language when her mother lets out a scandalized gasp. "Sorry mother!"

"What has you using such unladylike language, hm?" Daemon asks, letting Laenor's hand go in favor of propping his head on his hands and looking at Jalyssa.

Jalyssa gives her uncle-stepfather a glare then turns to Rhaenyra, who is also being handed a letter with the Stark emblem. "It is about Lord Cregan's arrival."

"Oh my," Rhaenyra says, looking at the letter in surprise. "It has been years since we've had guests in Dragonstone, but there's still plenty of time to prepare. About how many North men and women do you think Lord Cregan is bringing?"

Jalyssa rubs at her temples, feeling a headache coming in. "It depends, did Lord Cregan say he wanted to talk about a proposal or did he mention something else?"

"A proposal."

Jalyssa swears under her breath. "I'd say about twenty, give or take."

"Well then," Rhaenyra stands up, "I must make haste, prepare some rooms for them and have the maids stock up on more foods for a welcoming feast." She leaves the room in a flurry of skirts, already shouting out demands.

Jacaerys looks at her with a furrowed brow. "Just how close are you with Lord Cregan Stark?"

"Brother, we lived in the same place for thirteen years. His father was the one to teach me how to wield a sword and his mother to shoot an arrow. Lord Stark was whom I learned horse-riding from, and he defended me from unsavory whispers."

Jalyssa stands up as well, patting Jace's hand. "I must acompany mother for the preparations."

Jacaerys stares longingly at his sister's retreating form, which causes both Daemon and Laenor to laugh.

"The blood of the dragon runs thick, eh?"

"Ew," Lucerys says, scrunching up his nose.

-

The last two days came by in a flurry. Everyone was running around, preparing for their guests. Well, everyone meaning Rhaenyra and her husbands, who were roped into preparations unwillingly.

Jalyssa spent most of her time with her brothers, especially Aegon and Viserys. Jacaerys, Lucerys and Joffery were studying more often than not and Jalyssa's maesters had said her education was complete before she had left Winterfell.

"Come," Jalyssa said, pulling Jacaerys towards her and out of the castle.

"Where are we going?" Jacaerys asks in confusion but doesn't impede Jalyssa from dragging him. "Mother needs help t–"

"Mother needs to calm down. Lord Cregan and the rest of the North wouldn't care less what exact shade of grey their bedsheets are. Now, we're going on a ride."

Vermithor was already waiting for her, feeling the intent through their bond. He huffs a bit at seeing Jacaerys as well, but doesn't refuse when Jalyssa places her twins hand on his side with her own.