Sixteen

Nina left the specimen lab late that afternoon when the sky was just beginning to turn yellow and purple and the white sun hung low over the sea. She wanted nothing more than to go home and shower, get the slime and smell of red worms off of her skin, then eat something and fall into bed. But she had to finish her daily report first, as her contract required, and that would take at least two hours. Two hours, I can handle that. Making her way back to the office she shared with Doctor Ardus, Nina made polite nods to the Dreen she passed and even a tired smile at Doctor O'Connell. I bet I look like hell. Her back and legs were sore from bending, carrying, climbing and fetching all day but Meem and Nia were happy – the worms had eaten and were settling into fresh, warm water like kittens after a long nurse settling into soft, fluffy blankets with full bellies. Nina hoped the worms would get better, she'd hate to see hard work go to waste and would hate it even more if any died. She met Athe on his way out of the office, and he said Doctor Ardus had something to tell her.

"Good news, I hope."

"I'd tell you, but that would spoil his fun."

She smiled at the young Dreen, though tiredly. "Thanks, Athe. Oh! I owe you one for yesterday."

Athe raised his eyes to the ceiling and pretended innocence. "I don't know what you're talking about. You'd better get in there, you look dead on your feet." He patted her on the shoulder. "Good evening, Doctor." She waved him off and stepped into the office.

Ardus was at his desk, as usual, but when he looked up he pushed back and turned to her. "Well then, I am sure Athe has mentioned something." he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "We leave in four weeks."

All her weariness flowed away from her then – her feet stopped hurting, the stiffness in her neck and tightness in her shoulders vanished in an instant, washed away like a picture drawn in sand. "Really?" Nina felt the corners of her mouth drawing into a smile. "Reda approves?"

Ardus nodded. "I presented my amended timeline and cost analysis this morning. There was some resistance, but Reda stilled that. Now," he unfolded his arms and clapped his palms on his knees "how are Meem's worms? I imagine she and Nia had you busy all day, you look like your tide is about to go out."

Nina recounted cleaning the tanks, disassembling the water filters, bathing the worms and administering their feeding, Ardus nodding along. She left out her discussion with Nia. "...Meem said she would hate to lose any, but she doesn't think whatever they have is particularly fatal."

"Yes, I am sure I will read all about it in her report. Tomorrow I will plan for both of us to-" The door interrupted him with a soft ping! "Who in the four tides... Yes?" The door slid open, and Doctor Martin O'Connell stood shuffling in the threshold. Ardus's brows drew together. "Doctor, what brings you here?"

Martin O'Connell nodded to the Dreen. "Evening, Doctor. I saw yesterday that my patient had returned to work, I thought perhaps I might have a look and see how she's doing." Nina recognized his accent, lilting and clipped. European? After the European Union had split, it was a daily occurrence to meet people fleeing the economic as well as environmental instability started by their great-great-great-grandparents' generation. Nina figured he was from some part of the old United Kingdom, now the fractured and fractious countries of England, the Scottish Republic, the Welsh Republic and the newly consolidated Collective of Ireland. Ardus's eyes flicked to Nina. She nodded. "Sure, if it won't take too long."

"Long day?" Martin asked, crossing the room. He glanced at the over-eight-foot-tall Dreen with what Nina thought might have been disdain. She watched Ardus's eyes track him across the room. Hmm... "Yeah, it was."

"Mind if I ask you a few questions? It'll only take a minute."

Nina sighed, tired but resigned. "Sure." Doctor O'Connell took her pulse and asked her about her balance and coordination. "I feel fine," she told him.