Prologue

In later years when the maesters of the Citadel wrote of me in the aftermath of the war the singers called the Dance of the Dragons, where my House, House Targaryen, had been torn from the inside out, alongside it rivers of blood and tear flowed through the Seven Kingdoms, they would depict me in ruthless details as many things: the princess, the sorceress, the kingslayer, the usurper, the queen. Some of which were true, others vile accusations made by my bitter enemies to smear my name.

My name, must I reluctantly admit, was not one so innocent to begin with. Visenya Targaryen. I was named after the Visenya Targaryen, sister-wife and queen of Aegon the Dragon, rider of Vhagar, wielder of Dark Sister. Her mount and her sword would become crucial to my family legacy, and her name I forever bore as a heavy burden upon my head.

Did I live up to the standards Visenya would have expected of me? Did I inherit her curses? Did I right the wrong that was done to her, for Visenya as the firstborn daughter should've inherited the throne in Aegon's stead, or did I make the same usurping move she'd done for Maegor her son? All these I didn't have answers for. Perhaps I never would. Perhaps I should leave it for posterity to judge. But to have them judge me fairly, posterity must know the truth of me, beneath the title of princess and queen.

I, Visenya of House Targaryen, the First of my Name, daughter of Queen Rhaenyra of House Targaryen and King Consort Daemon of House Targaryen, thus gave you this written account of my life story......

...