TWENTY SEVEN

The queen's quarters were warm and rich, smelled pleasantly of incense and medicinal herbs. Bright firelight from the burning hearth danced upon a mosaic of dragons wrought in red and black tiles as I lay reclined on a pile of soft pillows, sipping a cup of hot broth while watching Aemond pick up Daenaera from her crib and hold her to his chest, gently rocking. A tiny silvery-white hatchling the size of a kitten crawled out of the crib and uncoiled and spread his iridescent wings, screeching. I put down the cup and clapped my hands, singing out. "Vesperon, māzigon kesīr." Vesperon, come here.

Vesperon, Daenaera's little dragon which I named after the Valyrian guardian god of the night sky, the evening star, quickly came hopping and flailing across the mosaic floor to climb up on the bed beside me. I scooped him up into my arms and scratched under his maw. Vesperon chirped happily as I ran my fingers over his body. In red dancing firelight, the hues of pale pink, blue and purple buried in the glistening silvery of his scales were surprisingly discernible, and his cerulean eyes with dark vertical slits shone like jewels.

"I had such unreasoning fear that the egg may not hatch, considering... ours never did." Aemond admitted quietly, smiling as he sat down on the edge of my bed, still bouncing Daenaera. "But there he is, more beauteous than even Sunfyre."

"There's never any doubt in my heart that it would." I lifted Vesperon so that he may perch upon Aemond's shoulder and stay close to Daenaera. "Even if it doesn't, there are masterless dragons who would often hunt about the Wendwater area. I was hoping that Dany may have Silverwing. My Vermithor grows a bit lonely without his lady love. I guess part of my wish came true, he certainly has the coloring and the docile character. A bit too clingy and gluttonous though."

Vesperon bellowed a shriek in protest. Aemond chuckled slightly, an amused look lightened his countenance. "Our daughter's future mount and little playmate and guardian god can eat as much as he wants. It's a good thing that he shows every promise of growing into a large and impressive dragon one day."

"Mm." I leaned back and massaged my temples which had begun throbbing. At once Aemond was alert. "What is it, love? The vertigo again?"

"No. No. Just a bit tired, I think." I forced back the drowsiness and craned my neck to press a kiss unto the crown of Daenaera's little silver-gold head, earning some funny noises in return. "Let's hear kepa's bedtime story before we dispatch you two little sweets to the nursery for the night, shall we?"

I settled myself comfortably in the pillows as soft Valyrian began to fill the royal bedchamber. Aemond's voice was deep and musical when he spoke our old tongue to the precious baby in his arms.

My Daenaera was a frail, delicate thing when she was born, but she had grown so big during the time we were apart. The first time I held her against my bare skin, I burst into delirious tears. My perfect, perfect girl. How I have missed you. Even her unintelligible babbling and burping sounded as sweet as the richest honey to my ears. I could gaze upon her chubby, rosy face all day and all night if no one was there to stop me. All the pain I had suffered was forgotten when I cradled her in my gentle motherly embrace. Those big, clear, brilliant blue eyes that contained an ocean of peerless beauty would look at me with the unswerving curious gaze of the newborn. I was terrified at first that I might have become a stranger to her. But Daenaera recognized me. She smiled toothlessly but without a doubt sunnily at me, her cheeks dimpling. Oh, she was so exquisite.

"You are worth everything, my beautiful little Dany." Everyday I would unwrap her from the swaddling bands of soft silk and lay her on her back on my belly, enjoying the marvelous skin contact. I would tickle her little feet and caress her tummy, and Daenaera would fuss and squirm with joy.

Alicent chastised that I was coddling and spoiling her with too much attention. I just shrugged. "How else would you expect her to grow into a generous and benevolent Queen that will inspire love amongst her subjects? If she's not even well loved by her mother?"