THIRTEEN

My mother has seen to it that my first public appearance as a woman grown was perfect in every single detail. In the morning a flock of serving girls brought jugs of hot water scented with fragrant oils and scrubbed me from head to toe until my skin glowed pink. Afterwards two seamstresses helped me into a dress of black pearlescent silk embellished with golden dragons, the sheen of the fabric shifting ever so exquisitely when the light hit it right. The darkness of the fabric accentuated the lightness of my Valyrian features and the heavy gold collar that I decided to wear over a plunging neckline. The tirewoman was the next to take over charge, gathering handfuls of my silver-pale hair and plaiting it into Queen Visenya's signature braids, with plenty of glinting rings to adorn it.

The final touch was an opulent swordbelt of solid yellow gold inlaid with fire opals and sunstones, the ablaze sparkles echoing and enhancing the great round-cut pigeon's-egg-size ruby on Blackfyre's hilt. I could scarcely not hold my breath when my mother tightened it around my waist. But the ladies-in-waiting were apparently well satisfied with the hourglass shape it created, prattling out comments on my bosom and thighs that I cringed so hard it physically hurt.

When I at long last winkled my way out of the handmaids' clutches, Daemon and the older boys already left for the tourney ground, much to my annoyance. I had hoped that I might catch a word with my father before he went into preparation for the melee, but luck was evidently not on my side today.

I broke my fast with my mother as well as Aegon and Viserys on some fresh-baked bread and butter and syrup and strawberry preserves, soft boiled quail eggs and crisp fried fingerfishes warpped with bacon. We kissed the little ones goodbye when the wet nurses came to collect them, then we rode to the tourney with our ladies in a huge carriage.

There were no clouds to obscure the brilliance of the sun that day. The air was sweet and clean. The breeze was mild and filled with birdsongs and the agreeably fresh scent of earth and ever growing green grass.

The banners and pavilions of every lordly house alongside the river bank were as extravagant and coruscating as I remembered them to be. Freeriders and hedge knights and masterless men-at-arms wandered around the master of the game, enrolling their names in hope of making a reputation together with winning thousands of coins and possible employment from noble houses. The common folk came out in the swarms to watch the melee. Laughing, singing, cheering, festivity pervaded the verdant field.

As this was supposed to be my day, I had the rare privilege to sit right next to the king. My grandsire lavished me with compliments, and entertained me with the riveting stories of his father Prince Baelon, of how he entered the tourney at Old Oak as a mystery knight, the Silver Fool, and unhorsed five challengers and was knighted on the spot, of how the same year he also claimed Vhagar and became a dragonrider. I chuckled and told the king I ought to do the same, why should women not be allowed to participate in a tourney after we've proved ourselves equally capable warriors time and again, in return making the king laugh with delight. "This granddaughter of mine inherited the very best part of my father indeed. A fiery spirit, through and through."

The queen smiled with her mouth closed. "True enough, my love. I wonder who would be the lucky man to steal our princess' passionate heart. Have you as of yet bestowed your favor upon any brave young knight, Visenya?"

I averted my gaze, trying to press back the redness on my face. "I have not, Your Grace. But I have just the right candidate in mind."

"Oh? Pray tell us, princess." The queen leaned over the king that was caught in between us, eyes alight with inquisitiveness.

My mother intervened in time, her hand resting on mine. "Soon enough we shall find out. There's no need to spoil it, is it?"

A surge of guilt raced through me, knowing my mother would be disappointed with me when I announced my decision.