TEN

I cradled my new baby brother Aegon, my little Eggie, my little conqueror in my arms, dandling, whilst my parents talked, arguing in low tones.

"You cannot be serious, Daemon." My mother frowned as she paced the floor restlessly, one hand on her heaving belly. "Taking Visenya to Stepstones? You will make a killer of her! No, I forbid you to do so. Our daughter's place is here, in Dragonstone, at my side. Not even you can take her away from me."

"This daughter of yours and mine is the rider of Bronze Fury and wielder of Blackfyre, not some fat court lady who eats grapes all day." Daemon sat crossed-legged nonchalantly in his chair, waving a hand as if to dismiss her. "You might as well send us to the kitchen to slice your lamprey pie. It would still be better than letting our swords waste away in humdrum."

"Have you a mind the danger it poses?" My mother spoke in condemnation. "She is my heir."

"Good. To be the future queen means she will have to step over piles of dead bodies, let me get her started." Daemon smirked, winking at me. My mother clapped loudly at Daemon's shoulder. "Your jest is not funny, uncle!"

"I tell you what real danger is, sweet wife mine." Daemon switched into a shrewder expression, guiding my mother's hand and drawing her into sitting on his lap. "The real danger is that the leeches are growing fatter while my brother is thinning out. How much time do you reckon we have till that cunt Otto and his Hightower affinity strike their first blow at us, mm? We need to get prepared for the storm that is to come, all of us, including Visenya, especially Visenya. Give her to me to train, and I will make the most formidable warrior princess this world has yet to witness, as if her namesake. Besides, aren't you always paranoid that we offended the House Velaryon by remarrying too soon, after Laenor sneaked off to Essos? Now we are doing them a big favor, roasting the Triarchy for them."

"This danger you just spoke of, it will not come to that." My mother stiffened, eyebrows knitting. "The lords of the Seven Kingdoms swore solemn oaths to defend my rights as the heir in front of the Iron Throne."

"Be that as it may, we both know their loyalties hang around valid only as long as your father breathes." Daemon stroked her swollen belly. "And every washerwoman and their grandma know his health is ever diminishing."

"Thus you think a civil war is inevitable?" Gently lying my little brother back in the crib, I chimed in, curious. "Surely there are more peaceful solutions."

"Don't tell me you actually want to take that one-eyed scar-faced lunatic's offer." Daemon shot me a piercing look. "Because that would be a more pressing matter indeed, my daughter has shitty taste in men."

"Daemon, your language!" My mother slapped Daemon's shoulder and twisted his ear lightly, making him protest aloud. "What? I am allowed to piss on Otto Cunttower's debased bloodline in my own household."

I blushed a deep scarlet. "It would swing Vhagar back to our side."

"Losing Vhagar was a misstep of ours, yes, but a dragon is not worth the sacrifice you are to make, no matter how large the dragon is." Daemon pondered. "Your Vermithor and my Caraxes are both battle-tested, together we will tear that hoary old bitch to shreds if we start practicing now."

I bit my lips, summoning enough courage to utter. "What if I do have shitty taste in men? What if I want him?"

"Come here, Visenya." My mother held out her hand, and I took it, feeling the fingers reassuringly warm and solid. "Visenya, you must understand that Aemond Targaryen does not love you. He may covet you. What man wouldn't? How can you be certain that he is not a threat seeking fulfillment, that he does not aspire to seize the crown for himself, to exploit you for Otto Hightower's ambition? Visenya, you are my only daughter, my beloved. I'd let you have whomever your heart desires as your king consort. But do not choose Aemond Targaryen unless he can prove his intention clear and true, this your mother insists and commands of you."

"Enough of this ludicrous marriage talk, ladies. The girl's too young to consider anyone, much less that cripple who doesn't even have all his parts. Out of the question. Now let us move on to less revolting topics." Daemon interrupted with a bored look on his face, tapping the armrest of the chair. "I take it that the matter is settled then. Visenya and I will depart to Stepstones. I will start training her in combat skills as well as battle tactics and strategies."

"Promise me you will keep our daughter safe, Daemon." My mother said with teary eyes. "I could not bear to think about losing her."

"I will not lie to you, my love. The battlefront is the ugliest living hell on earth." Daemon sighed. "It's not exactly a jocund feast we are going to attend, though there will be some grilled meat involved."

"I will go, mother." I gave my mother's hand a gentle squeeze. "Let me be fortified by real battles. Let me be your strength. Together we will restore the House of the dragon back to its erstwhile glory."

I drew my sword and knelt before her, lifting the blade over my head. "If I may leave with my queen's blessing."

My mother looked deeply into my eyes, her lips quavering. A kiss tender as snow flake fell unto my blade. "I wish you good fortune in the wars to come. May you ever be victorious, my little flame."

...

End Notes:

A short transition chap, I can't write battle scenes to save my life so I leave it all to imagination

Next chap final time jump to KL and the Lord of the Tides petition

I will make Viserys last longer otherwise don't think Aemond can ever get laid lmao Daemon is too much a bitch for anyone to handle