TWENTY THREE

I awoke to a warm, tingling sensation caressing my flank. I tried to crack open my eyelids but the drowsy sweetness of the fading dream still held me spellbound. "Go away." I slurred. Behind me someone chuckled as if amused. Then the assaults on my tender flesh got worse. Deft fingers roamed over my body, tracing the deep indentation of my spine and running down the curve of my hip. Before long I could bear no more touching. I stirred unwillingly and flew open my eyes.

"Who do you think you are to touch me without my authority?" I hissed like an angry cat being stomped on the tail. Then I froze. Recollections of what happened last night found its way into my now lucid mind. I allowed Aemond into the bed. He hugged me. I fell asleep on his chest. Panic rose like a covey of birds taking flight. Stupid, stupid woman. I berated myself almost frantically. How could you let him see your moments of weakness and helplessness? Your vulnerability? The arm wrapping about my waist tightened as hot breath brushed against the column of my neck, raising hackles and goosebumps across my tickling skin.

"Hm, I think I am the only man in the world who can touch you thus." The casualness with which Aemond mumbled half-sleepily in my ear with a palpable smile was not helping my strained mood. "Don't be angry, my beautiful wife. You look so very young and innocent in your sleep I can hardly resist it." Something stiff and hot was pressing against my thigh as he whispered endearingly, daring to lightly pepper kisses all over the flushed skin of my neck. There was no mistaking what the thing was. A scarlet surge of embarrassment and exasperation emerged from its den of slumber. How dare he, how dare he think he can so shamelessly display his desire for me. He had no right to take liberties with my body.

"If you presume one night in my bed is enough to reverse time and turn things into what they used to be, you have another thing coming." My temper flared as I rolled over to glare at Aemond in renewed anger. How dare he act as if nothing has changed when everything has changed? I should never be so frail of heart as to allow him near me, now he thinks I welcome him back with open arms. "Get off." I pushed at Aemond's shoulders tactlessly while simultaneously kicking at his shins beneath the coverlets. I was confused, and more than a little panicked that I might fall for his false declaration of affection again. "Get. Off." A flicker of what seemed to be regret flashed in Aemond's eye. His grip on me instantly slackened. Before he could squeeze out an apology, a knock at the door followed by a cracking sound turned our heads.

"Your Grace?" We both looked up as the heavy wooden door of our bedchamber creaked open and a string of handmaids and tirewomen stood nonplussed at our incredibly compromising position. Aemond was the first to find his voice after a few moments of awkward silence. "Leave us be. I will dress her imperial majesty today."

The door snapped shut but excited voices buzzing like a swarm of wasps came through, making my face red and ready to burst like a puffer fish. But before I could pour out venom, Aenond released me and jumped off the bed.

I clutched the sheet to my chin with a look of caution on my face as he fetched some garments from the wardrobe and came back.

"Don't you have more pressing duties to attend to than liberating my maids from their jobs?" I asked acerbically, eyeing him up and down with utter displeasure as he approached.

"I serve the realm by serving the queen." Aemomd answered without one ounce of shame and embarrassment in his voice, holding out a thin silken smallclothes before me. I snatched it from his hands as quickly as an attacking cobra, my cheeks growing redder still. "Since you are so determined to be my maid today, why don't you go fetch my new armor and surcoat?"

"You wish to wear armor to the court today?" Aemond raised an eyebrow at my demand. I shot him a scathing look that said I did not ask for his opinion.