TWELVE

"Do not compete in the tourney to come." I cut straight to the point when I found Aemond in the Dragonpit, feeding Vhagar. "You said yourself you didn't give a shit about tourneys, so be it. Do not engage Daemon in the melee. He will most certainly try to blast you, make it look like an accident when it's a calculated machination. Whatever affront he spat at your face that night is to provoke you, you'd be a fool to give in to your infuriation and let him set you up."

"Your father does not intimidate me, Visenya. And it is not out of infuriation against him I decided to contend, but for the woman I love and wish to take to wife." Aemond looked much calmer than he had when last we had spoken, smiling even, reaching out a hand to me. "Come, since you are here, meet my other lady Vhagar."

"I am dead serious about prohibiting you from participating, Aemond." Angry as I was, I let him take my hand and place our intertwined fingers onto Vhagar's dark grey scales, sensing the warmth seeping through and the slight vibration. My eyes involuntarily scanned over Vhagar's spectacular form in awe, but quickly realizing this was a distraction tactic, I collected myself, my face austere. "Aemond, listen to me. I know my father all too well. He is a dangerously proficient swordsman who will exploit your blind spots mercilessly, lethally, and he does not uphold honor in a traditional sense. He considers it honorable to rid me of an obstacle, that's you, mind, and he will do it however he pleases without scruples. Daemon wants you incapacitated, and he will not stop till it happens."

"You seem to have little faith in me." Aemond guided our hands to mildly stroke Vhagar, causing the great dragon to purr in return. "I bested Ser Criston. Ser Criston bested your father. I'd say I have a rather decent chance against him, and you ought to give me more credits."

"That was years ago." I pointed out, lips growing petulant. "I assure you my father is not the type to age like sour milk, he is like damn firewine."

"Visenya." Aemond sighed, rubbing the middle of his nose bridge. "You cannot seriously ask me to sit around and not lift a finger when the tourney is in your honor. What sort of man do you take me for? I am a warrior myself. I want to win your hand in marriage. There's simply no alternative. I don't see why are we even wasting time arguing here."

"You do that. I tell the king I'd take your brother Daeron as husband." I threatened him, deadpan.

"No, you won't." Aemond took my chin and lifted my face to his. "You're too scared of losing me, which you won't either."

"You are a fool." I rolled my eyes, beyond irritated. "A big silvery fool, and soon to be a dead one."

"Since you're so sure this will be my last day on earth, let me take you for a ride as you once did me." Aemond patted his saddle on Vhagar. "Let's go somewhere quiet and talk about your father no more."

"Vhagar is too big a target in the sky to miss, what if he catches sight of us?" I hesitated, chewing the inside of my bottom lip. "I don't want him wroth more than he already is."

"As I said." Aemond ignored my inquiry, lifting me off the ground and helping me into the saddle. "No more talk of your old man. I take you for myself the rest of the day."

We flew to Blackwater Bay to which I first took Aemond on Vermithor. Nothing changed, it was the same small, lonely, bleak island, save that we were both grown up now. Aemond relinquished the rein of Vhagar and gave her leave to rove the isle on her own.

"Lie with me for a while." Aemond asked of me as he lay down on a massive flat rock, one arm extending and gesturing for me to approach him.

I cautiously lay down beside him, rested the back of my skull upon his arm, and slowly and carefully snuggled against his body, brushing his shoulder with my forehead. His hand captured one loose lock of my silvery hair and swirled it until it coiled around his index finger like a gleaming ring.