„May I Introduce?"

I felt a slight headache arising, as I observed, how my uncles entered the living room through the door. Their aura hit me like a hammer: they were out for trouble. This family burst of temperament; their blood was literally always „burning". All my uncles felt and acted like my second dads and always accused my real dad of being too lenient with me.

I rubbed my forehead. How could I be that naive to bring a guy to my Greek family? I must have hit my head somewhere to blend out reality. I caught the eye of my eldest uncle. He watched Jae  with a gaze that could cut through steel. It was clear as day: He was out for blood - Jae's blood.

Sighing I bent my head to Jae. "Keep your mouth shut. Answer only when asked...and DON'T...please, don't react over-confident, if you want to leave this house alive."

Jae watched me in unbelief. „Asia...hm...what's wrong with those guys? I only want to be your boyfriend, not kidnap and murder you?"

Huffing and puffing, my eyes on my uncles, as they greeted their mother, my yaya. I hissed. „You don't understand, Jae. My family is very warm and hospitable, but it ends, when a man approaches one of the females in this family. Than the males - my uncles and cousins - turn the knob and an overprotective inquisitive hulk comes out. It's a Jackyll-Hyde-thing, they can't help it."

Jae listened shaking his head amused. „I smell patriarchal structures here. We are in 2022 or did you stop to count time at 360 b.c. when you guys were the bigshots?" He had the audacity to snicker. Poor Jae.

I closed my eyes. „That's not funny, Jae. Watch and see", I muttered helplessly. Next to me Jae stiffened in his stance. Yeah, meeting Greeks, who were out for trouble, meant it would become loud, unreasonable and tiresome. BUT I loved my family, no matter what. They watched out for me, they just exaggerated .... a little bit. 

"Won't you great Asia? She came with her boyfriend", yaya said with a certain amused glimmer in her eyes. SHE WINKED AT ME!

"WHAT?", both my uncles shouted at the same time, turning in our direction.

Unsmiling und with a blank face they seized Jae up and down like a piece of meat. I felt Jae's uneasiness next to me, but suddenly he stretched to full height. Observing my uncle George, I saw the spark of satisfaction simmer in his eyes. He clearly enjoyed the situation.

„You are a handsome dude." Uncle George's eyes wandered pointedly to Jae's muscular arms and his pacs. „I bet you are a real panty dropper in your school. You have the looks and the body. Have you marched your way through all the girls in school and now you intent to play with our Athanasia, huh?" 

Bam - there it was: the first hit. I didn't know if I ways only amused, annoyed, angry or ashamed of their behavior. Sneaking an eye at Jae, I saw his helpnessness.He was overrun by my uncle's rude words and attitude.

He cleared his throat. „With all due respect, Sir, I am not, what you assume. My intentions towards Asia are honest and true." He sent me a tender gaze. „ I really like your niece. She is everything I hoped to find in a girl one day. I want to be her loyal boyfriend, if she accepts my confession."

„Aυτός έχει θάρρος, Γεώργιο", my second uncle said to his brother. He remarked, that Jae had balls. I was a little bit moved and proud, that Jae confessed his feelings in front of two intimidating elders.

„Όχι τόσο γρήγορα αδερφέ, περίμενε να τελειώσω μαζί του", uncle George replied to his brother's remark, his stern eyes on Jae.

Now I stiffened a little bit. What my uncle said, ringed in my head: Not so fast brother, wait till I'm finished with him

Oh lord!!!

Jae saw my features in alarm and trailed my eyes. He couldn't understand a word but must have felt, that it was in some way threatening. I knew, what to do.

„STOP!", I said loud. „No more, you did your job, Jae knows, that you'll break his legs, if he hurts me."

I turned to Jae. „You did get the message, right Jae?" He simply watched me a little bit clueless but nodded slowly nevertheless. Instinctively Jae knew, that ratio wasn't at all a solution. This was something beyond...

In front of me my two uncles pouted like little boys, whom you snatched their lollipops.

„Why, Athanasia? Why did you rain on my parade??? Your uncle Alex and I fought who would put the bad wolf act on your friend. I won ... for NOTHING. Why could't you let me have a little bit of fun?", uncle George whined.

Jae and I exchanged looks.

„Brother,  this ship sailed...but I heard Athanasia Z. will bring her boyfriend on Sunday to our family barbecue. Than I'll let you have all the fun, okay?", my uncle Alex suggested, slapping his brothers back.

I watched the whole scene in disbelief. „And here we girls were anxious and held back because we were afraid of your behaviour towards the poor guys we bring into the family. While you have the time of your life, making fun of the situation. Wow! Wait, till I tell the girls."

„NO, Asia, don't. This is one of the highlights of your uncles, don't destroy our privileges. Playing the neanderthals is sooo much fun", uncle George snickered,

Rolling my eyes, I supressed to laugh. „I can't believe your shenanigans. Now back to business. May I introduce?" I indicated to Jay. „This is Jae Thornton, he is a Senior at my school and we like each other."

„You didn't say boyfriend, Asia...", uncle George remarked.

I shook my head smiling. „Yeah, that's the lawyer in you, to hear between the lines. You are right, we are not in a relationship yet, but we are testing the waters."

Both my uncles nodded knowingly. They knew me well. I wouldn't rush things, there was no need for that. So they guessed, that I chose somebody „good", who wouldn't willingly betray me.

Uncle George laid his hand on Jae's shoulder. „Jokes aside, you seem like a nice guy. I know your father, he is a good and fair business man. I belief, you are a good guy too. You have my blessing."

His face turned serious. „Yeah, we ARE funny, and yeah, we ARE playful, but don't hurt our Asia because than you'll understand pretty well, that there is also a Spartan living inside of us, ready to come out. Understand?"

Jae straightened his back. „Yes, Sir, clearly!"

Both my uncles nodded satisfied. „Our brother-in-law, Asia's father, is way too nice for his own good. He welcomed you with open arms. Thank heaven he has US to help out..."

Uncle George begann to sing: „Mama said knock you out...I'm gonna knock you out... I'm just getting warm...", while my uncle Alex accompanied him beatboxing to the rap classic of L.L. Cool Jay. Jae and I simply stood there like two idiots, watching the scene unfold.

My uncles smirked at each other, than at my grandmother and than they all burst out laughing.