Chapter 8

Rosevalley Medieval fair. Every year, an annual medieval event was held in town where local small business owners, entertainers and craft enthusiasts came to exhibit their creations, sell their stuff, and hold entertaining tournaments and such. It's a day spent with your loved ones, where there are several medieval games and where everyone who thinks they are something goes to hang out.

You can drink mead, shoot with a bow and arrow, chop firewood with an axe and the annual tug of war. It's a bit like Rosevalley's highlight of the year. It's much more fun than the winter harvest or easter event. There is probably no townie who has never visited the fair and all proceeds earned this weekend goes to the local youth associations and the hospital's work with sick children.

"How do I look?!" I beamed up at Mike through our narrow hall mirror, fixing my headpiece in purple velvet.

"Awesome! Like a noble prince. And how do I look? Isn't this great, ey?" Mike straightened up with a smug smile, pulling at his fake moustache.

"As if the Three Musketeers had a love  child with Prince Charming!" I giggled amused.

Mike and I never skimped on accessories or our costumes. We always went all in and put a lot of time into looking perfect for our visit to the fair. Mike wore woollen clothing in green, with undergarments made of linen. He had stockings and a leather belt around his waist in which a leather purse hang. He also wore a cloak with a hood. I, who always wanted to be a little more fab than my friend, had found the perfect noble costume in a store in old town.

I used to buy my clothes from this old lady who loves to make my clothes match my eyes. Mike's grandma used to sew his clothes, and sometimes mine. But since I found this old lady I always went to her. And she gave me a good price, telling me how I was like a wandering advertisement for her.

This year I wore a purple tunic with a matching darker jacket. I wore hose, light leggings, and breeches. Since the rich in the Middle Ages used to wear furs and jewellery, I had chosen a coat with fur on the edges. I don't know what animal though, but it was cool. I had borrowed my grandmother's old jewellery. She collected medieval stuff when she was alive.

It was Saturday and for the first time in a long time I had really longed to not be among the books at Hookhill. It felt a bit like I was crawling on the walls these past days, feeling suffocated by my work and Reed's Twatiness. So, this was what I needed. Mike and I had called a taxi so we could both drink mead and wine, and we both snickered happily as we squeezed into the back seat.

"You should have asked Mr. Cranky pants if you could borrow one of his Armor!" Mike bursts with a chuckle. "Or he must have lots of other medieval stuff in that castle of his!"

"Do you think he would let me borrow that?" I objected. "He's boring and I'm a thief in his eyes. I bet he doesn't even visit the fair."

"His family sponsors it every year, of course he does!"

"But have you seen him there? Think about it! I would remember seeing Reed more than on pictures."

"Because he's hot?"

"It can't be denied!"

"It's usually his sisters who goes, I think. That sexy one and the young and more shy girl."

"Oh, right." After we googled Reed's family, Mike had got a thing for one of Reed's sisters. It was a girl with light and almost silvery hair. "Reed probably considers himself too fine for a medieval fair and let his sisters represent their family."

"Is he really that boring?"

"Yes! And so sassy! You know when I cooked lunch for him the other day?"

"When you burned all the food, but he tried to eat it anyway to be polite?"