Chapter 16

The next morning, Marnie comes to wake me up like she said she would. The realisation that this is my last day in Galar with everyone dawns on me, and I can't help but feel under the weather. It's funny how I didn't want to come at first, and now I don't want to leave.

Marnie sits in the front with me on the ride to Wyndon. We stop for food along the way, but otherwise I just keep driving, and keep quiet, only speaking when one of the others asks me a question. I think everyone can tell something's up with me, but they probably assume I'm still bothered about Bede last night.

Wyndon is busy when we arrive. I end up stuck in traffic for forty minutes before reaching the hotel. It's the same one we stayed in on the first night. I don't want to waste the last day, but I just don't have the energy to do anything, so I park up at the hotel and drag the luggage out. I have to take the truck back sometime this evening, but for now I check in and take my stuff up, speaking very little to the others.

I've been in my room for a few minutes before Marnie knocks on the door. I know it's her because the others are gentle knockers, whereas she pounds on the door without a care.

"Come in," I call out. I'm typing out a reply to Misty, who's just seen the articles and is texting me, rightly confused, asking how Dawn even managed to convince me to go, never mind be friends with Goh again. I know Gary will be pleased to hear we're speaking again, and he no longer needs to feel torn between us.

Marnie opens the door but doesn't come in, just peeks her head around the corner. "Hey. I was thinking we should probably go on a date later. Obviously not a real one, but you know."

I sigh through my nose. I want to spend the last day with Goh, but I can't, because it will only add fuel to the fire. I've already seen whispers about Marnie and I online. The picture of us in Ballonlea is out there. Besides, this is the last day I have to convince people about Marnie, and it's the perfect place to do it, too. "Okay. Wherever you want to go."

"Alright. Come get me at eight," she says, and closes the door again. I have peace for all of two minutes before there's another knock, this time gentler, and I actually get up to answer the door.

It's Dawn. She walks right past me, not waiting to be invited in. "I got you a present," she says quickly. She's holding something behind her back. I shut the door but stay frozen on the spot, waiting. She holds out her hands, and there's a ticket in them.

"What is it?" I ask.

"A ticket for the Galar Hurricane." She passes it to me, and I look down at it, confused. The Galar Hurricane is the giant ferris wheel on the western side of the city that's so tall it looks right out over the whole city, and you can see it from almost every street.

Dawn looks so serious it's actually stressing me out a little. "I booked a whole pod out for you, so no one else will be in with you, and the glass is reflective on the outside, so no one will be able to see you. Nobody will be able to bother you there."

I think I understand where she's going with this. "Dawn-"

She shakes her head. "This is your last chance for a while, Ash. Tell him how you feel. If you don't, you'll regret it. You-" She takes a deep breath. "You deserve the happiness Goh can give you. You're perfect for one another. Please." She reaches out and grabs my free hand in both of hers. "The ride lasts half an hour. Use it."

I can hardly breathe. I actually think I might cry. I'm so grateful for her, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do what she's asking of me. I know she's only trying to push me to do what she thinks is right, but how can I tell him how I feel?

I have a couple of hours before Marnie expects me to take her out for our 'date'. I should probably get changed into something nicer, and fix my hair. The idea that something like that might be said so soon is making my palms sweaty, and anxiety builds in my chest. The butterflies in my stomach are making me feel nauseous. If I feel like this when I see him, I'm not sure I'll even be able to speak.