Chapter 5- A Phantom Strike

(October 17, 1996)

As night falls over the planet Saleucami, most of the planet's inhabitants are bedding down for the night. However, the Imperial garrison is still very much active.

In the one of the main cities of Saleucami, a small group of stormtroopers is on patrol in the outer neighborhoods of the city. They've been on patrol for about 20 minutes, and it's been routine as usual. They're just supposed to be watching for anyone breaking the curfew ordered for tonight.

As the stormtroopers are walking slowly down the street, they're mostly not paying attention and mostly talking about a new commercial speeder that has come out on the market. Nobody expects to see something out of the ordinary they're walking, one of the stormtroopers hears something off to the side. At first he dismisses it, but then he hears it again. He looks to the side and sees a figure disappearing behind a house.

"Hey, what's that?" the trooper says aloud, and this draws the attention of the rest of the troopers.

"What's what?" the group leader asks.

"I just saw something go behind that house," the trooper says, gesturing in the direction he saw the figure.

The troopers are quiet for a moment, wondering if it'll be worth it to go after whatever this figure is. Then, they see the figure reappear in the gap between the two houses they're looking at.

"Who goes there?" the trooper who first spotted the figure asks aloud. However, he gets no response.

The troopers watch for a second, and then the leader says, "Come out here. Identify yourself!"

The figure takes several stops towards them. As the figure does, the troopers realize it's holding something in each hand. Then, as they watch, there's a hissing sound, and glowing blade of crimson springs from the figure's hand.

"Halt! Get down or we will fire!" the lead trooper orders. However, the figure responds by raising its other hand. There's a bang, and a spurt of blood erupts from the trooper's eye before the trooper falls dead.

"Fire!" one of the troopers cries, and the five remaining troopers start firing their blasters at the figure. However, the figure starts sprinting at them, spinning its glowing blade of red at great speed to block the incoming blaster bolts. As the figure comes, it fires the weapon its other hand again, killing another trooper.

The figure reaches the troopers, driving its saber through a trooper's chest before ripping the saber sideways out of the trooper's body to behead another one. The figure ducks under the fist of one of the other troopers and cuts one in half before kicking the last one, the one who first spotted him, to the ground.

The trooper holds its hands out in front of it in desperation. However, the figure switches its blade into a back handed grip before stabbing it down through the trooper's chest, killing the trooper.

Silence falls on the street as the figure stands back up. The figure stands over the bodies of his victims before deactivating his lightsaber. Under the hood, a dark smile crosses the face of Philip Nelson. He slowly turns and walks away from the scene.

Philip slowly makes his way out of the city, heading into a small wooded area just outside the city. In the wooded area, Philip makes his way through the vegetation until he comes to a small hidden cave. Philip pulls aside the vegetation he laid down to cover the cave entrance and ducks into the cave.

Inside the cave, Philip's gear is laid out in the cave. Philip sits down on a small cushion in the corner of the cave, where he closes his eyes and begins to meditate. As he does so, he smiles to himself, feeling very accomplished at his actions so far on Saleucami, and looking forward to the plans he has for the future.

(Star Destroyer Executrix)

On the bridge of the Star Destroyer Executrix, Moff Wilhuff Tarkin is reading a communique from Director Krennic. The message is describing progress on the Death Star's construction, and the delays currently facing the program.

"Moff Tarkin."

Tarkin turns around to see the executive officer of the Executrix standing behind him. "Yes, commander?" Tarkin asks the man.

"Sir, we received a message from the commander of the Saleucami garrison. It sounds like the individual known as the Crimson Blade has reappeared and begun attacking their patrols.

Tarkin frowns as he hears this. Starting about 5 months ago, a strange being had begun attacking Imperial units across the galaxy. The ranks of the Empire had given this mysterious figure several names, including the Phantom and the Shadow Warrior. However, the most popular nickname was the Crimson Blade, as that was the most easily recognizable thing about this individual. He had started in the Outer Rim, and slowly made his way closer to the Core, mostly just attacking small Imperial patrols and picking off Imperial sentries.

Almost nothing was known about this individual. At first, the common belief was that this individual was Maul, given the figure fought with a red bladed lightsaber and had shown power in the Force. However, this was disproved about two months ago when a sighting of Maul occurred at the same time as an attack by the Crimson Blade, halfway across the galaxy.

A second theory had arisen that this figure may be a surviving Jedi. But then, when it was discovered that the figure was also using a slugthrower pistol, a new theory had arisen that this individual may be a Terran soldier left behind who was now using a stolen lightsaber and his Force powers to attack Imperial forces. This theory was now the prevailing theory as to the Crimson Blade's background, but his identity was still unknown, as in addition to the Vietnamese insurgency on Kashyyyk, it was estimated there could be as many as 200 Terran soldiers stranded across the galaxy, all of whom were unaccounted for.

The Emperor had become aware of this "Crimson Blade" and wanted him dealt with. Tarkin, in addition to his other duties, was responsible for trying to track down the Crimson Blade and bring him in.

"Do we have any further information from the garrison commander that gives any indication as to where he's hiding out or his goals on Saleucami?" Tarkin asks.

"No, nothing. All he was able to give was the Blade took out a patrol of six troopers before disappearing," the officer says.

Tarkin frowns, thinking about this. Then, he says, "Set course for Saleucami, and inform Lord Vader we may have the Blade."

"Yess, Moff Tarkin," the officer says before walking away to convey Tarkin's orders to the captain.

Tarkin looks out of the viewport at the stars, his thoughts focused on the Crimson Blade. The Blade has already caused enough trouble for the Empire. It's time to bring him down.