Chapter 15- Duel of Darkness

(October 4, 2004)

In the city of Theed, the atmosphere is nothing but tension. For the last day, the city has been virtually held hostage by Philip because of his threats. Surviving troopers in the city have not found the bombs Philip hinted at, but have been too afraid to go to far in the search for fear that Philip would notice and come after them.

The message Philip had recorded has flashed across the Empire. Most of the Imperial military and government is now aware of the situation in Theed. However, no official response has been given by the Empire so far, and the population is waiting anxiously to hear more news on the situation.

Outside Theed, the Empire has set up a perimeter with thousands of stormtroopers and a few dozen walkers, placed to try and keep Philip from escaping and keeping the situation contained. An Imperial colonel is in command of the operation. Intelligence from a spy probe has confirmed that Philip is still in the palace, making no signs that he intends to run. It sure seems that he does intend to stay and face Vader if he comes.

"Any word from Imperial Command?" the colonel asks one of his communications officers.

"No. Nothing," the officer responds.

The Colonel looks back out at Theed, weighing the risks. He had been ordered not to go into the city, but he's starting to wonder if that's the wisest move. If he can move quickly enough, maybe his army can rescue the hostages in the palace.

Suddenly, another communications officer calls out, "Colonel. We have a Lambda class shuttle coming in for a landing."

The colonel feels a sense of relief. This shuttle has to be Lord Vader, or someone almost equally capable of handling this. He heads out of the command tent he has been in and heads for the landing pad. He gets there a minute before the shuttle comes flying in, slows down, and carefully lands on the landing pad.

The colonel comes to attention as the boarding ramp lowers, and sure enough, to his relief, Darth Vader slowly comes walking down the ramp.

"Lord Vader, thank you for coming-" the colonel begins to say.

"Enough of the introductions, colonel. I am not here to waste time, nor do I have time to listen to your tactics. I am here to face the Crimson Blade," Vader interrupts curtly.

"But, my lord-" the colonel begins to respond.

Vader again cuts him off. "Do not speak against me, colonel. Just tell me if the Crimson Blade is still in the palace."

"Yes, my lord," the colonel responds.

"Good. Then order your troops to stay where they are. I will face him alone. Keep a squadron on alert," Vader orders.

"Yes, my lord," the colonel responds, bowing his head as Vader strides away.

Vader orders an officer piloting a speeder to take him to the palace. Vader climbs into the speeder, which takes off into Theed.

As they enter the city, Vader has his gaze locked on the palace. As the speeder moves quickly through the streets, Vader can't help but allow himself to be flooded by the many memories of his past life as Anakin Skywalker.

It doesn't take too long before the speeder stops in the main square at the base of the steps leading into the palace. Vader shakes himself out of his stupor and disembarks from the speeder. The speeder moves a short distance away from the palace to wait as Vader begins walking up the steps leading into the palace. A handful of locals still in their homes watch in silence from their windows as Vader slowly ascends the steps up to the palace doors.