The Cupid Effect

The cute fanart of Takemichi and Emma at the top was made by @jarcaligula on Twitter, who I asked for permission to use their pic. If you have Twitter, then drop them a follow since they deserve it!✌️😁

Takemichi blinked as he stared at his female companion with confusion in his eyes.

"... How do I... Feel about you...?" He repeated the question with clear confusion.

Emma simply nodded in confirmation.

The male blonde mused over the sudden question with a thoughtful look, clearly thrown off by it.

"I... I-I don't think I get what you're trying to ask me, Emma." The teen uttered.

The girl sighed at his cluelessness. This was gonna take some work.

"I mean... What do you think of me...?" She added more depth to her question, "Like... If I asked you to describe me right now, what exactly would you say?"

Her explanation made the fellow blonde think to himself.

What did he think of Emma?

What had suddenly compelled her to ask him that?

Regardless of whatever it was, it still made him think about his answer.

How did he feel about Emma...?

"Well... I..." The teen started before finally looking at the expectant girl, "I-I think you're a cool and amazing girl, and I always love it whenever we spend time together, but I've probably already told you that..." He commented at the end with a sheepish grin.

"Although, what I haven't said... Is that I think you're one of the coolest girls I've ever met in my entire life." The teen added with sincerity, surprising her, "You're a fun person to be around, you have a good sense of humor, a-and you're stupid pretty. I mean, who wouldn't wanna be friends with you?" He complimented her without looking, awkwardly rubbing his head.

His words, especially the latter ones, made Emma slightly blush, which was a recurring theme whenever Takemichi complimented her.

He seemed to think very fondly of her, which she already knew, so things looked like they were going good, which made her hopeful.

But taking notice of his use of the word "friend" reminded her that she wasn't done just yet, and it was time for her to ask the "important" question.

Maybe, just maybe if she did... Then he'd reciprocate her...

"So... You see me as... A friend?" She asked her crush in a quiet voice.

"Uhh, yes?" He answered awkwardly.

"Only a friend...?" She added with an expectant look on her face, deciding to finally bite the bullet.

This made the fellow blonde squint his eyes in even bigger confusion.

"Yeeah...?" He responded with uncertainty, "Am I supposed to see you as anything else or something...?" He innocently asked without thinking, raising an eyebrow.

Unfortunately, our goldboy had no idea that was probably the worst answer he could have given.

Emma's eyes widened in shock at his words, and she let out a tiny gasp, which surprised Takemichi.

"W-What was that for...?" The teen asked, the confusion he had only piling up.

But then, a sullen and depressed look made its way on Emma's face.

'O-Of course... I probably should've expected this to happen...' The girl mentally expressed her disappointment, closing her eyes.

So much for getting her hopes up...