T W E N T Y - O N E

XENOS 

My cousin was on the verge of a mental breakdown. 

Why? You ask? 

It's been four weeks since our chat behind the Matthews Crypt and nothing has happened since. 

Absolutely nothing

No signs. No map. No next step. 

Zephyr was pacing back and forth like a caged lion, snarling orders into his phone at the person on the side of the line while I was sitting on the edge of his couch with my arms crossed, ready for direction. 

Ethan was out getting groceries and Alessia was currently sitting in the arm chair by the fireplace, reading a book and twiddling around with her pendant. 

My gaze lingered on her for a few seconds longer than I would have liked, my body not listening to my brain's command to tear my eyes away from her. 

Ever since that discussion we had all those weeks ago in regards to our relationship...or for better terms, lack of one, I've caught myself looking at her on more than one occasion. 

There was just something about her that I couldn't quite wrap my head around. 

She looked content in her decision...almost happy... and while I was relieved that she wouldn't be pursing the Bond that was forced upon us against our will, there was still a tiny piece of my fragile ego that wanted to really know why she didn't want her Mate. 

Because I refuse to believe that what Serenity told my cousin about Alessia pining for her Mate after all these years weren't true. 

There was more to the bullshit excuse she was feeding me about not wanting to entangle herself further with my family. 

That might have been a deciding factor into her choice but it wasn't the deciding factor that pushed her to such a final resolve. 

Now...I know what you're thinking. 

Xenos, if she's willing to leave you alone then why do you care about her reasoning to not be with you? 

I care because...and I'm not afraid to admit this no matter how shallow it makes me...no one has ever been able to resist me before. 

I would have let that slide if she didn't lie to me about her true reasoning behind not to pursue this further between us. 

I sighed, knowing that others in my situation would've be relieved to learn that they were off the hook with someone but of course, me being me, I had to be the obsessive type that developed an unhealthy relationships with the 'Why's' of Alessia Jane Matthews decision to cut me loose.