Spencer

Ricky told me there was a murder last night in Salem. I guess I should be more sympathetic, but I'm not for some reason.

Recently there have been murders that've been happening in Massachusetts; this is the fourth now.

Thank God we're in California—LA, to be exact. We got off doing our show just now.

There has only been one murder and that was last week, but I can't help but think the Massachusetts' ones are going to lure over here, too.

I guess there's been so many murders I've grown used to seeing the headlines everywhere, but it is our hometown after all. I should feel some remorse.

After all, we are technically a horror-themed band: it's in our DNA. Horror is our thing.

Our show tonight was great, as it always is. I sang and Joe played bass—yeah, you know. It's our fifth show so far on this Silver Scream tour. The bus hasn't broken down yet.

Dan Sugarman comes over and cracks open a beer. He's all sweaty and his long hair is messy.

I say thanks, as I am polite, and take a drink.

My other band members come over. I am shivering in this cold. I should have brought a jacket in this weather. I hate November weather.

"Should we head in the bus?" I ask. I feel the sting of the beer go down my throat, I almost gag.

"Yeah. It is chilly. I don't know why we didn't bring jackets. Especially you, Spencer. You're always quick-thinking. And Shevy, too."

I chuckle at Ricky's comment. He is right.

Shevy is our makeup artist for our shows, but she also does the acts for them, too, dressing up as Gage or whatever. She's in the outside bathroom right now.

We all sit on the couch in the tour bus, as we drink. Dan and Patrick are beside me as I'm in the middle, Ricky and Joe are sitting together at the other end.

"Spencer, there was another murder."

I look to Ricky. They all get serious as their faces under the bus lights glow.

"What?" I say.

"What? What're we talking about?" Joe looks from one another.

Ricky and I haven't told anyone about the murders. We guessed they already read the news.

I sigh. "Okay—"

There's a knock on the door.

I stand up, and adjust the suit I'm wearing. I wonder who it is. Maybe Shevy. I haven't taken this suit off yet; besides, after that hell of a show (in a good way), I think I would sleep in this.

I step past Joe—which he persists that he gets the door, in which I ignore him.

I open the door and find two kids outside and a man. I'm guessing it's the dad. I put on a smile as I step onto the gravel, looking at the two girls in front of me that are wearing Ice Nine Kills merch. How cute.

"Hi, Spencer!" the girl with the red hair says. She holds a teddy and a card.

"Well, hello," I say. "How are you?" They look about nine.

The father shakes my hand. "Hi. I'm Frank. Sorry to bother you, but my daughters and myself are a big fan of your band and we thought we might give you something if that's okay."

I smile. "No, no problem! I love meeting fans." I take the cards and teddy, me thanking them as the three walk away.

I come back inside and chuckle. I love the INK Psychos.

"Who's that?" Joe asks. He's sitting in the spot I was sitting on the couch. I don't mind.

"Just some fans. Two kids and a father."

"Cute."

I nod. "They gave me a bear and cards." I pass them onto the stool. I'll read them later.

I sit on the rug and look up at my friends. I guess they had drank all their beer.

"Ready for bed? We'll do meet-and-greets tomorrow, and then we'll head off to Arizona next. It's already ten. The moon is shining." Patrick says.

"Yeah, it's almost a full moon. Your lucky day, Charnas!"

I laugh.

We all head to the beds, me climbing on the top shaft, and get comfortable. I'm still in the suit.

The lights turn off by Dan and we all fall asleep.

I guess Ricky didn't bring up the massacres, or they're as scared as I am to say anything.

I don't want to think that I'll die tonight, or ever.

It's a scary thing.

I close my eyes and thank the universe for giving me a day to live. I eventually feel my body winding down.

Well, goodnight.