33: Nights

I feel my eyes begin to glaze over as the same fast food ad repeats on the living room tv for the tenth time. 

I turn my head to my demonic friend and after a moment she turns her head to me with a friendly but confused smile, tilting her head in unspoken question. 

I shrug and slouch further into the sofa. "I'm bored."

"And what exactly am I meant to do about that?" She asks, amusement lacing her voice.

"I never said you had to do anything, Princess." I retort dryly.

She rolls her eyes at the nickname and shifts her focus back to the advertisement.

Finally, the droll ad ends and returns us to our chosen senseless entertainment. I find this remarkably boring. 

Maybe all the life-changing excitement has rendered such typical things devoid of interest. 

"Ugh." I groan aloud, both at my boredom and how Chara's vocabulary has begun to sink into my thoughts.

Chara raises an interested eyebrow and a playful grin at my outburst as if she knows exactly what I find annoying. 

I mean seriously, who calls an ad 'droll' in their thoughts?

Me I guess. 

"What's wrong now?" Chara coos happily. 

"Nothing." I grumble, wiping my face as if the gesture would wipe away the cringe I feel at myself.

"Ah yes, Sir [Y/n] [L/n] he who makes strange noises without warrant." She retorts in a played-up accent of her own somewhat posh voice. 

"Indeed my Princess, tis I." I say, matching her mocking tone with a grin. 

She crosses her legs and leans against the arm of the couch, giving her full attention to me. "Seriously though what's up?"

"It really is nothing," I say, yawning and stretching against the couch. "I'm just kinda bored."

"We could-" She begins but I cut her off before she finishes.

"I'm not fighting you until I have this under better control." I answer. 

She scoffs at me. "Listen little human-" I cut her off again.

"Taller than you."

She rolls her eyes but continues with some annoyance in her voice. "-I can handle myself just fine." Her eyes narrow coldly. "And only by an inch." 

"Taller is taller." I shrug, avoiding the subject. 

She decides to let this slide and continues, her red eyes glittering with suppressed excitement. "I can help you learn to control your powers in the only way that matters." 

"Fighting my best friend?" She gives me an annoyed look.

"Don't be incredulous." She scoffs. 

"Look, I don't want to hurt you-" She cuts me off this time.

"You can't." 

"And I don't want to be beat until I can control myself again." I finish.

She sighs, letting her arms drop to her sides in resignation. "[Y/n] I dealt with something very similar, I really can help you." Her face shows only sincere concern and just a drop of impatient excitement. 

"I know you have experience with this kinda stuff and I know you wanna help Red but this is different." She brushes off the nickname with a small frown. 

"Enlighten me." 

"You and Frisk are Determination." I say, pausing to put my thoughts into understandable words.