Chapter 01; Moving to Forks

Elena's POV
I stood out taking deep meditative breaths as I watch my sister..... I don't even know what she's doing, but it was dramatic and a good distraction from my impending panic attack.

Her eyes were closed against the sunlight, absorbing its rays. Long, dark hair frames alabaster skin. I watch as Bella stands at the end of a cul-de-sac on the desert's edge. The sun is blazing behind her as she bends down and carefully scoops a tiny barrel cactus into a clay pot. Her actions confuse me as Bella never cared for nature, or even knew how to properly care for another living thing.

She stares at the cactus seemingly in a state of reverie, until "Bye, Elena! Bye Elena's sister!" Our blonde neighbors called out. I look over to see my old basketball team mates. I force a smile and wave at them politely as they give me the look. You know, the one full of sympathy and pity, the one you give someone after someone they loved died or their entire life was just destroyed.

"Good luck at your new school, Ellie! Don't forget to write!" They continued as I nodded and said "Thanks!" I turn back to look at Bella who waves back, sweetly, but halfheartedly as she steps off the curb "Have a good.." she starts but trips as the girls ignore her and instead leave without casting her so much as a glance. When she rights herself, they're already gone "... life" she finishes while frowning before she turns to look at me and scowls.

They're clearly not close friends, or friends at all for that matter. Bella's immature demeanor and rude personality prevents her from having friends and at times push her family members away.

I'm broken away from my thoughts as our mother, Renee, exits our house. Our mother is eclectic, scattered, anxious, more best friend than parent. Her shoulder length wavy brownish-red hair, smooth olive skin tone with only a few laugh lines, and cheerful blue eyes give her a more younger look despite her being 38 years old.

She suddenly thrusts a cell phone at me and childishly whines "It won't work again, baby" an action that brings a timid, but genuine smile to my face as I look the phone over "You put it on hold" I tell her making her tilt her head like a puppy and ask me with wide eyes "I did?" I nodded and jokingly said "Look. You also called Mexico" attempting to revert back to my cheerful and playful self to hopefully ease her worries for me.

It seemingly works as she laughs and goes to playfully push me making me flinch on instinct and dampening the mood instantly. Mom gently wraps me in her arms and holds me close as she says "I'll figure it out. You gotta be able to reach me and Phil on the road -" she suddenly pauses and smiles while dreamily sighing and saying "I love saying that, on the road~" I force a smile and say "Very romantic."

Having had enough of me and mom's closeness Bella approaches and shoved me out of the way causing our mom to scoldingly say "Bella!" While our stepdad, Phil, catches me. Bella scoffs and grabs our mom's arm and says "If you call crappy motels, backwater towns and ballpark hot dogs romantic" Phil ignores her and instead steadies me and asks "You okay, Elle?" I nodded and look at the ground instead.

Phil is a minor league baseball player. He's 27 with an athletic build, honey brown hair, tan skin, and blue eyes. He has a goatee that he's very proud of and keeps it in a slightly messy version of Tony Stark's beard.

Once he's sure I'm alright, he walks over to Bella and mom and pulls mom away from Bella. He puts his Phoenix Desert Dogs baseball hat on Renee's head with a kiss. Phil's love of Renee reassures me of my decision while Bella stared at them in disgust and envy.

Bella thinks that Phil is too young for mom, and he deserves someone closer to his age.... Namely her.

Phil heads to the old station wagon to load the luggage, while mom slips her arm through mine, clinging to me as we walk to car making Bella glare at us "Now, you know if you change your mind, I'll race back here from wherever the game is" I look at my mother's strained expression silently telling me what a great sacrifice that would be. I force a smile and shake my head "I won't change my mind, mom."

Mom frowns and counters "You might" I shake my head and say "I won't. I need a change of scenery, and some fresh air to clear my head. Besides, I really miss dad. I mean, I haven't seen him since I was 14, and even then, two weeks a year, that's hardly enough" mom looks even more worried at that so I firmly state "Mom, I want to go. I'll be fine" my mom instead hugs me tearfully and I hug her back only to be yanked away and Bella to come over and hug her while glaring at me.

I roll my eyes while mom scolds her and get in the car. I lean my head back and take a few deep, anxious breaths until Phil calls out to them "Guys! I love you both, but we've got a plane to catch!" All three immediately climb in and we head out.

While Phil, mom, and I have a light conversation, Bella is curled up in the corner listening to music from her earbuds. I shake my head and try to ignore her.

I look out the window, and get a last glimpse of the sparkling malls, chic shoppers, manicured cactus gardens as we drive to the airport. Upon arriving we exchange goodbyes before heading through airport security.

We get on the plane and take our seats in economy. While Bella settles down for a nap I look out the window and watch as the McMansions get smaller as we fly over the scorched landscape, baking under a hot sun. Beyond the housing developments I can see the rocky, dry desert, extending for miles. We rise higher, and higher still, until finally we're suspended within the bright, perfect, blue sky, with only an occasional cloud.

I thank god, that I'm not afraid of heights as I lean back and peacefully watch the sky. Slowly, the clouds start getting more numerous, thicker, darker until we're completely immersed in them... the sun disappearing. Finally, we emerge from the clouds to find below the hauntingly beautiful Lake Crescent and I immediately know that we're close to landing back in Bella's and mine's hometown.

I lean over and gently shake Bella awake. She seats at me and scowls, but I ignore her and instead focus on gathering my things.