Chapter 02; Home again

Elena's POV
I was sitting in the front seat of my dad's police cruiser while Bella was in the back with her earbuds in.

I watched as we passes the trees along the two lane highway that exited Seattle and led to Forks. I look out, taking in the gloomy new surroundings... I like it. It seemed....quiet and peaceful.

I sat next to my uniformed father, police chief of Forks, Charlie Swan. I was honestly proud to call him my dad, and I was really looking forward to reconnecting with him.

My dad is 40 years old. He's taciturn, introverted, and a dorky kinda awkward that's endearing. His straight black hair and deep brown eyes made him attractive to many women in Forks, but he's never paid them any mind. I worry about that, he must be lonely especially since Bella and I mostly stopped visiting.

I'm pulled from my dad and guilty thoughts when my dad clears his throat "Your hair's longer" he awkwardly says. I instinctively run my fingers through my hair "Yeah...I've been growing it out, but I was thinking about getting a bob cut" he nods "That'd be...cute?" I couldn't help but chuckle and say "Yeah, maybe, I don't know. I think my hair's too straight."

Dad shrugs and says "I think your hair's beautiful" I smile and ask "How have you been? Met anyone recently?" He smiles and jokingly says "Aside from the usual drunks and hell raising teens? No. But I've been doing great. How's your mom? And you?" I tensely smile and say "We're both good" he nods, not really believing me, but he won't pry.

"What about that new guy? Uhh-" he tries to remember the name, but fails so I say "Phil. He's nice, not you, but nice" he smiles at that and glances in the rear view mirror and says "I'd ask about Bella, but...she seems scary" I snickered and said "Not really. She's a bit....I don't even know what she is. Lately she's just been.... temperamental."

He frowns and worriedly asks "She hasn't said or done anything out of line, right?" I shrug and say "She just doesn't like the attention that I've been getting since..... I don't even want it, but it's like, everything that happened has to dominate my world, and I just want to forget that it happened" I find myself ranting making dad frown and nod understandingly "I get it....I'm sorry that, I didn't protect you, and I'm-" he starts but I cut him off "It's fine. It's not your fault."

We then fall into an awkward silence.

We pass a sign that says The City Of Forks Welcomes You - Pop. 3246 Bella sighs depressingly while I peer out the window to see the town where I was born.

As we drive through, I take in this logging town
every storefront has a wood carving. The Timber Museum's sign is two loggers sawing a stump. The police station is a small wooden building across from City Hall. There were no shopping centers or malls, no movie theaters, no fast food places, nothing too modern. It's as if the town is stuck in the '50s or '60s.

We pass through the town and get onto a country road. We continue down the road in silence until
we pull up to the old two-story house. I see woodshed full of firewood off to the side. There's a small boat in the garage, fishing gear, an old buoy. It takes me a moment to realize that this is my childhood home and climb out... 'home'.

Dad and I carry in our bags as Bella waits by the door. The house isn't stylish, but it's comfortable, lived-in. I can tell that dad let mom have free range when they got married. The walls were painted tacky pastel colors blue, yellow, and green with lots of beach memorabilia and a few fishing memorabilia. Pictures of Bella and I throughout the years along with our parents and godparents littered the entryway and living room.

I peer more into the living room to see yellow walls, an old moss green sofa with dark purple pillows, vintage furniture, with a flatscreen tv.

Handmade cards to 'Daddy' and photos of Bella and I were strewn across the fireplace, almost like a shrine. I notice Bella wincing and look over to see a picture of us, at age 7, in a tutus. Bella is sitting stubbornly on the ground, and glaring up at me as I do a graceful pose, with a silly grin across my face. I turn away, unable to look at the sweet innocent girl in the photo as if she can see the woman who she'll become.