Ch 8 - Reflecting

Lily rejoined Grace and Cassie, apologizing for being gone so long. They talked for a few more minutes, but mostly small talk. Eventually, Lily thanked Grace for giving them so much of her time, and they all parted ways for the evening. Lily and Cassie retreated to Cassie's apartment for dinner and an opportunity to discuss the conversations they'd had with Grace.

They chatted briefly on the drive there, but neither felt ready to comment much on what they'd learned. Arriving, they realized that the strain of the day had taken its toll and left them both starving. Cassie suggested a simple stir fry, which suited Lily, so they set about preparing a meal. Cassie started pulling items out of her cupboard and refrigerator while Lily sat on the stool nearby and watched.

She was decompressing a little, she needed to admit. In the span of less than twelve hours, she had gotten an important case, struggled to find anything about it, then had it solved by her best friend through a few phone calls. The thought nettled her. Not so much that someone else had solved her puzzle (though it was a sore spot), but that because Carter Denning wasn't missing they mystery was over. Why had he wanted to see Grace? Why hadn't he come? That's what drove her batty thinking about it. There were important things happening that weren't being accounted for, and a deeper puzzle that was still eluding her comprehension.

Catching Cassie sighing as she got things arranged on the counter, Lily snapped back to the present and jumped up to help.

"Let me dice those veggies up for you, Cass," she called. Cassie smiled in relief and handed her the knife.

With both of them paint attention, they got everything ready and into the pan. Lily got out plates and silverware, then scrounged a drink up for each of them. The savory smell of onions and peppers mingled with crisping chicken, driving their hunger to the edge of their tolerance.

They plated their food and sat at the kitchen table in silence, devouring the meal. Warm and rich tasting, the stir fry was perfect for stemming their hunger. They made quick work of the food, and sat quietly, enjoying the peace and quiet.

"Would you like some coffee?" Cassie asked. When Lily nodded, she stood and began prepping her machine for a half pot of coffee. "Why do you think Carter never showed up?"

Lily thought it over, as she had been all day. "I'm not sure... I think its important though. What makes you ask?" Lily was curious to know what Cassie was thinking.

"The way she talks about him, he doesn't seem like someone who would ask her to meet him like that and then not show up. Or at least, he'd let her know if there was a change of plans."

"I think I agree with you," Lily said. "If he knew he couldn't make it, he would have let her know. That's why it feels like something is off."

"You know what I'd like to do," Cassie stated firmly. "I'd like to give him a call and ask him point blank what he was up to."

Lily raised an eyebrow at her friend. "Oh really? So why don't you, then?"

Cassie laughed, "that would be rich, don't you think? Grace would die if she saw me doing it!"

Lily joined in the laughter, "I think she might!"

They poured themselves coffee, then headed into the living room to relax on the sofa.

"Besides," Lily commented, "I don't know that Denning even has a phone. Grace seemed to imply that he is something of a recluse, with limited human contact. Otherwise, why not just call her in the first place."

They sat in silence, each pondering the odd relationship their friend seemed to be have with a mysterious recluse. Cassie was getting restless on the sofa. She finally sat forward and put down her coffee.