5

(Back to Texas's POV)

The next morning, I wake up with the worst headache.... Fuck.... I drank way too much, didn't I....

I open my eyes to darkness... huh.... There's a damp washcloth over my eyes. It's refreshing, but I wonder who brought me home and put that there... did I walk home? I totally blacked-out...

I get up, and look around... I'm in my room, which is always good.... Wearing the same clothes I went out in, so I'm glad I presumably wasn't naked at any point....

I walk out of my room and am oddly met with the smell of breakfast being cooked...

Who did I bring home...? I don't think I'm THAT lascivious when drunk...

When I see who's in the kitchen though, my crappy mood immediately gets floored.

"Cali!" I exclaim happily, he turns and smiles at me, dropping what he was doing and running to give me a hug.

"Hey Texas! You feelin' ok? It looks like you had quite a night," California said. I blush in embarrassment.... And suddenly my crappy feelings come back.

"I-I... I'm sorry.... I just...," I stutter. I fucking hate when I stutter...

"Hey, don't worry about it, we all have off days," He said gently, holding me close. I hold him in a tight hug, hiding my face against his neck. God, I swear I'm straight.... In most situations. "And don't be hiding if you drank... I know it feels crappy to know you broke sobriety, but hiding it.... It can get worse if you do," California said. I just shakily nod, taking deep breaths. "I'm glad I visited.... You ok?" He says. I muster up the strength to push away from him and look him in the eyes.

"I'm better now...," I say, smiling at him sheepishly. He smiles as well, and I begin to feel less crappy once more.

We eat breakfast together, just chatting... luckily just about fun or humorous things. Although I do trust him with more personal and deep conversation, I just... don't feel right ranting to him, given the situation. Suddenly, his phone begins to ring.

"New York... uh.... Nope," He said, letting it ring.

"Does anyone know you're here?" I ask. He smirks playfully.

"I told them I was going on a trip.... So no. I hope they don't think I'm leaving forever.... God, I'm gonna catch so much shit when I get home," He says. I frown.

"Cali.... I wish you hadn't visited.... I-I mean, for your sake.... I wanted to see you, but if it'll get you in trouble-,"

"Oh please, the states are just looking for excuses to yell at this point... and I wouldn't mind being the epicenter of anger. I think you've entertained your spotlight enough, and I'd love to drag you to safety and fill in," California said.

"Cali, please..... you don't have to scramble to defend me from a hell of my own making," Texas said. California shrugged, taking my hand.

"Sometimes the easiest way to get someone to care about themselves, is to show them how much you care to help them," California said. I close my eyes, vividly remembering the nights California drove me to rehab, or picked me up from it...

"I can never understand you," I say softly.

"You understand me more than you think," California said. "I've been rather 'bad' in my own ways this week too.... I stole Ari's chocolate milk.... And you know how determined he is? He dug through the bottom of the trash bin and found the shoe-box I hid the carton inside of," California said. I hold his hand tightly, staring him in the eyes, and I know California sees the worry in my expression.