𝟗 | 𝐂𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐬

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

I start to get restless at around five in the morning. I slept good with Jules, but I've gone too long without coke that I'm having withdrawals.

I'm not doing it.

I slightly tighten my hold on Juliet and bury my face into her neck. I try to distract myself with her smell, her touch, her preciousness in this moment. She looks so innocent when she sleeps. I hate to think that I'm ruining that part of her that I love so much.

But I'm a better person now than I was a few days ago, right? She probably wouldn't even notice if I was high.

I sit up and look at her, hesitating. Eventually, I gently kiss her cheek before inching my way down to the kitchen.

"It's all good, it's all good," I assure myself while pacing around the dining table.

After staring at my kit for a moment, I remove the tin lid that contains cocaine and sit down to prepare a line. "Alright, alright," I mumble to myself. "Just one."

"That's not gonna solve anything."

Recognizing Rose's voice, I don't turn my head. "How would you know?" I reply, still focused on lining up the coke.

She steps very close to me and puts her hand on my back. "You've got a problem, Rafe."

How ironic that she wants to say shit now. Her help would've been great a month ago. Better yet, ten years ago.

I shove her hand off of me and reach for the baggie of drugs before she snatches it from my grasp.

I stand up angrily and peer down at her. "What are you doing? Give it back to me." I reach for the bag, but she tries to hide it behind herself. "Give it to me," I growl as I quickly rip it out of her hands.

I back away from her and start to walk around the kitchen slowly. "You know what my problem is? I got a stepmother who lies to me." I look up to see her dumfounded. "You think I'm stupid, huh? You think I believe that line of shit? About how you can't find the gold?" I scoff. "Listen, admit it, Rose. Admit it." I walk up to her and glare down into her eyes. "You know where the gold is. Right?"

"Rafe, stop."

"You know where the gold is, and you just wanna keep it for yourself, right?"

"Back away from me."

I roll my eyes and take a few steps backward.

"If anyone should be paranoid, it's me. You were the one that was in the Bahamas with Ward."

"You were married to him!" I shout. "I mean... I'm living under the same roof as a thief!"

"He never trusted you."

I feel a burn ping in my chest.

"Ugh, even when you were little, you were always slithering around. Always sucking up."

As I begin to lunge toward her, a knock appears at the front door. I pause as the knock gets louder and more persistent.

I speed walk to the entry way in order to find out who the hell is banging on the door, especially at this hour.

Upon opening it, I see a blonde lady accompanied by a man. "Hi. You must be Rafe," she says, walking inside of the house without asking. "You look a lot like your father."

My expression turns sour as I stare at the random woman, deciding whether it should be taken as a compliment or an insult.

"I'm Carla Limbrey," she says with an obviously fake smile.