𝟏𝟎 | 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

I back the truck into the designated hangar and promptly step out of the vehicle. After Renfield unlocks the back doors, we climb inside and start to bring the cross out. Standing nearby, Limbrey watches us as we groan in pain from the weight of the golden object.

She looks at the cross in awe as we prop it up. "I don't believe it."

Renfield grins. "I told you I'd get it for you, didn't I?"

"You said you would, and... you did."

Renfield starts to remove the cover off of the cross, but I quickly step toward the old woman. "Before we do this, I just wanna remind you of the deal, okay?"

I want nothing more than to go home to Juliet. Ever since talking with Renfield earlier, I've had a nauseous feeling in my stomach. I need to get my cut and then leave.

Limbrey scoffs. "You really are your father's son, aren't you?" she says, her eyes not once leaving the cross. "Talking about deals at a moment like this."

"I showed you the mural, I get my cut," I insist with obvious impatience.

"The deal is as we discussed, Rafe," she sharply replies.

"It better be."

"You'll get your cut," she assures me.

I help Renfield with the last bit of material and finally unveil the blinding gold finish.

Limbrey drops both of her canes to hold onto the cross. "So beautiful," she says, ogling at the sight before her as she pulls a key out of her pocket. "It's time for a miracle!" She smiles while trying the lock.

Renfield reaches his arms out. "Here, let me help you—"

"—No!" she commands, shoving his hand away before twisting the key. "It's meant for a Limbrey."

I furrow my eyebrows at the weird half-sibling rivalry that they have going on.

Her mouth gapes in shock as she opens the compartment to see nothing but cobwebs.

"Huh," I say after a beat. "The magic scarf was eaten by bugs."

Renfield laughs as he watches Limbrey's soul crush across her face.

She suddenly slaps him in a fit of anger. "How dare you mock me!"

Renfield then shoves her to the ground, leaving her far away from the canes she so desperately needs.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I yell, trying to calm him down.

He looks down at her. "Easy, Carla."

"That's it," she hisses before staring up at him. "You're cut off. You're not getting a penny."

My eyes widen in fear. She's cutting him off? What if she cuts me off next?

"I don't need your money. I've got the cross now." He smirks and starts to walk back to the artifact, leaving her limp on the ground. "Come on, Rafe. Help me."

"Rafe," she mutters.

"Don't worry, you'll still get your cut," Renfield says to me.

I stare back and forth between them as I consider what to do. I'm not the best decision maker, especially under pressure.

"Come on!" he shouts at me while climbing into the back of the truck.

I hesitate before grabbing onto the bottom end of the cross and helping him load it inside.