Chapter 6- A Origin

Warnings- Mentions of arranged marriages.

_____________________

I woke with a jump Professor McGonagall entrance waking me with a plate of food in her hand as she looks me over "finally breakfast won't be going to waste this morning" she says placing it down on my desk before turning around to face me as I rub my tired eyes "also nice to see you in human form tell me how is that going? I think I have seen you more in your animagus forum these last few days than I have in the last year"

"I changed without my wand" I explain seeing her eyebrows raise in surprise "without your wand? So you can change without your wand now?" she asks and I shake my head "not exactly" I mumble the memories of the change only happening in dire conditions making me worry.

Will it happen when I least expect it?

What happens if I get in a situation in front of people I can't trust and change?

Professor looks at me in question as if she could hear my inner terminal but says nothing as her eyes go to the empty potion of the nulling potion laid out on the bedside table.

Last night when I returned I stayed up a while thoughts keeping me up until I drank the potion not long passing out afterward.

The potion taste lingering in my mouth as I reach for the glass Professor magics one next to me "nulling potions I hear are quite nasty I hear" she says knowingly and I look down "Professor"

"I won't ask even though I want to its not my business as long as you are being safe you can only have these for a short time if not the long-term effects can cause forever numbing not only to the marks but your magic"

"To my magic?"

"The cost of going against your soul mark my dear did no one ever tell you? The price of rejecting your mate can cost your magic" my mouth drops at that "so if I reject my mates then my magic-" I whisper.

"If you have a good enough case soul marks can be removed by the ministry to stop losing your magic but you'll have to speak with Dumbledore but the ministry is picky and has rarely accepted cases"

"Dumbledore" I whisper "but why? If we don't get to pick soulmates then what right does it has to take our magic if we don't want them?" I ask and she sighs.

"The four founders learned this the hard way when Salazer Slytrhien rejected one of his mates Rowena Ravenclaw when finding out about her muggle mother and in return Rowena cursed him and the mark that rejecting without good enough reason will cost the cost the person of their magic"

"Wait" I say "the four were mates?"

"Yes the first soulmate bond was made after they created the school, unexpected I must admit since they already had families of their own" she sighs "after that every student that came to Hogwarts started having soul marks show up on their skin at the age 16.  That pattern carried on but Salazers hatred for muggle-borns only grew once Rowena cursed the mark causing him to lose his magic. Before dying he convinced others that muggle-borns will be the cause of the marks disappearing one day and many didn't believe it until recently"

"Because of the war?" I whisper.

"Yes my dear since the war started soul marks started to decrease so purebloods have used that to their advantage convincing others to blame muggle-borns. Using Salazer's writings as proof so many have fallen for the nonsense so the wedge between wizards and witches has only grown wider and I fear it will continue until it's too late"

"Why does no one know about this?"

"Many do my dear but it is not taught and those who know it tend to want to hide it"