Chapter 3

Harry's POV

"Did you do it?" Trevor asked as he put his paper on my desk. I looked up from my laptop screen, where I was busy planning my lectures for the rest of the week. I raised an eyebrow at him. "Did you get what's her face some coffee?" I nodded. "Leave a note?" I nodded again, leaning back in my chair, putting my hands behind my head. "So, when's the date?"

"Isn't one." I said, careful to disguise my disappointment. Trevor looked up at the ceiling, like he was frustrated. "Why so interested? Is there a bet going around?"

"Mr. S, how dare you accuse me of gambling on campus!" He said, offensive evident in his tone. I nodded, catching his fluent sarcasm. My cell phone vibrated on my desk signalling a call, Trevor took this as his cue to leave, nodding to me as he walked toward the door at the back of the small room.

"Hello, is this Mr. Styles?" It was a female voice that I vaguely recognized.

"It is. Who is this?" I asked, absentmindedly sorting through the stacks of papers on my desk. Mostly assignments that I have to grade.

"This is Mrs. Reed, from Hennigan Elementary." It clicked that the voice belonged to the secretary that I saw the other day. "I'm sorry if this is a bad time, but I must ask that you come to the school as soon as possible."

"May I ask why?" I said, already collecting my things. It was doubtful that Aubrey was sick. She always called me when she didn't feel well, and she rarely missed school, even when times got tough.

"Aubrey is in a bit of trouble with the principle." I squeezed the bridge of my nose. She's never gotten into trouble with a principle before.

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I hung up the phone and began the trek to my car. Over the drive, every possible situation crossed my mind. Maybe she was hurt, maybe she'd fallen off of the monkey bars and skinned her knee. Maybe the other kids had beaten her up.

Waiting for me in the office of the school was a distraught looking woman, a boy from Aubrey's class in her lap. She was holding a tissue under his nose. I could make out a bit of red on it. The secretary was quick to recognize me and led through the office toward a small room with an oak desk in it. Behind it, sat a character of a man with a pot belly and a balding head. In front of the desk, sat my daughter, her curly hair pushed behind her ears and her hands in her lap. She looked like the picture of innocence, just like her mother, complete with a sweater dress and black leggings. Leaning up against the wall was none other than Piper-Jane.

My breath caught in my throat. Her blonde hair was wavy and the front pieces were pinned back. She was wearing a white sweater that seemed two sizes too big for her and capri jeans.

"Mr. Styles," the principal said, gesturing for me to take a seat next to Aubrey, and Piper took a seat in the chair on the other side of Aubrey. I almost wanted laugh at how much like a family we looked. "Aubrey, why don't you tell your dad what happened." Aubrey glanced at me and exaggerated a sigh.

"Oh, Mr. Madison, do I have to?" I raised an eyebrow at her. She sounded like she had a script in her head, like she had the whole situation mapped out. The principal nodded sternly. "I punched Roger." She said frankly, shrugging. My jaw dropped and I looked at Piper who shrugged. Aubrey had never done a violent thing in her life. I suddenly realized how bad this looked. Me, a single dad, covered in tattoos, talking to a principal about my daughter's new found behavioral issues.

"Why, on Earth, would you do that?" I asked, shaking my head. She shrugged her little shoulders. I knew that look. She was forming a response in her head, just like her mother.

"He just made me mad." I raised an eyebrow at her, knowing that she was making it up as she went along and she was running out of ideas.

After another half hour of the principal explaining the consequences of fighting in the school, I was walking out to my car, Aubrey next to me. Since it was her first offense she was let off with a warning, but she did have to apologize to Roger.