Paranoid

I think, I think too much
I'm a little bit Paranoid, I think

-

Jade stared at Miguel.

And Miguel stared back.

"What? Not falling for my daughter, eh Miguel?" Her father teased from his spot at the table. The five sat together at the table like a family and Jade felt like the stereotypical black sheep, eating only small bites and watching carefully as the four in front of her interacted like a family.

Imagine her surprise when she arrived at her father's home to find Miguel laughing along with the sperm donor while setting the table. She ignored the grandiose home, shoving down the hints of green that threatened to pour over of what her father never gave her, and barely greeted the woman who was only there for the money.

Jade had nothing against her, but refused to get attached. When things went south, she didn't want any more attachments holding her back.

She stood in the foyer, fists clenched, a melting pot of anger, surprise, and fear because why was Miguel Diaz here? He shouldn't be here and every time she watched a smile sent between the two males her heart threatened to leap out her chest. Hector was cruel... but was he so cruel to kidnap her friend as leverage?

"W-what, no of course not!" Miguel sputtered out, a feeling of cold mortification rushing through him. "I-I just, uh, I don't-"

"We went to the same karate competition." Jade interrupted with a roll of her eyes, the new woman's kid looking over at her happily from beside her. Her lip twitched uphappily and she scooted away from him just a bit.

Children.

Hector let out a hum and Jade wanted to scream. Thankfully, Miguel had remembered her words for once and pretended to meet her for the first time. She didn't return the smile as her father introduced the two teens - Miguel was the hero who saved the boys life - and Jade didn't miss the weird way Miguel stiffened when she was introduced as his only child.

"What a coincidence!" Hector chuckled out with a shake of his head and a pat on Miguel's back. Miguel smiled weakly and Jade narrowed her eyes at the teen. "You must tell me all about it, Miguel."

Jade watched as Miguel explained his tournament win, slowly changing from stuttered out nerves to relaxed shoulders and grin from Hector's inquiries and excitement.

She was going to be sick.

———————————

Quietly Jade and Miguel washed and dried the dishes, Jade handing the cleaned dish for Miguel to dry with a towel. The kitchen was cleared with just the two of them as Hector and his girlfriend prepared a guest room for Miguel.

As soon as they were alone with only the sounds of running water and noises of movement filling the space, the air turned sour and heavy - Miguel wanted to run and Jade would never admit that she did too - but for different reasons.

Jade assumed her dad had Miguel hostage and Miguel was trying to come to terms that Jade was probably his sister.

"Okay, okay. Fuck, marry, kill. Yasmine, Jade, Moon."
"Oh, come on Hawk-!"
"Just answer it!"
"...Kill Yasmine, marry Moon, fuck Jade."

Miguel was going to be sick.

"...so your dad seems nice."

Jade stumbled, the plate from her hand falling from shock at the statement. Miguel caught the plate right before it hit the ground and smiled sheepishly.