1 : ❝𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋❞

STARS

April

It took a lot out of me not to ruin my mother's white dress but my sister looked at me absolutely scared when I threatened her so I shut my mouth and sat my wine down. "I'm sorry, I loose my temper around you."

"Act like you got some damn sense April," my mother hissed under her breath and it scared me a little how she kept a bright smile while doing so. Then again, she's been practicing for years. However, now I wait for destruction, "Tuh," I spit through my teeth and I sit in my seat.

It's hard for me to love my mother when we're not apart, our relationship is weird like that. Someone once told me it's easier to love someone at a distance, maybe she's my person I have to love at a distances, because sometimes she only loves herself, only thinks of herself and that doesn't work for me.

"I see you ladies didn't bring a date," My mom's new polished boyfriend, Adam grins smiling at me and my sister and my brother sits right next to me after his fourth cup of wine.

"I did but she...had to leave early," Adam nods taking in AJ's clearly drunk excuse and I clear my throat not up for all the bullshit pretending we like each other, "We're all here for a reason I assume or is this just to play house?" I look between them all and my sisters eyes are telling me to shut up as the usually do but she knows I can't stand this woman and her yearly bullshit get togethers.

My mom looks embarrassed as usual whenever I speak, I'm tired of this, every other month it's this. Meet my man, meet my man, I don't want to.

I wanna meet peace and quiet.

"Okay then," I sip my drink and my mother introduces us again, "I really do hope you all get along," she smiles and as much as I love my mom happy I know her and I feel like I know Adam already, my mom doesn't know a good thing if it had a fucking sign saying good thing. She sabotages every good thing for one little temporary thing but Adam he's a rich good thing, a good thing for her.

"Excuse me," I excuse myself from the table and leave to go smoke outside ignoring my mothers hiss of my name and my family lingering eyes as I leave. I thank the wind for the only sound out here and pull the small blunt I saved lighting it, "Can I use your lighter?" I look over at the man and toss him my lighter. He catches it and a light smirk sneaks up on his face, "May I ask why you're out here instead of inside enjoying the beautiful party?"

"Same reason you aren't," It's not the time of night where I'd go back in forth with a tall mysterious stranger and enjoy it, it's more like light up and pass me my fucking lighter.

"Trust me beautiful it's not," He chuckles lowly taking a pull from his cigarette tossing my lighter back, "Hm. I thought free drink made everything beautiful." I puff the smoke out and away and shrug, "The strong ones."

I notice for a third time the same black car circles the parking lot. I notice the man smiling until he doesn't, I look between the car and him knowing there's something going on. AJ always got into stuff growing up whether it was with our father, or just a random gang he had no business around but I know trouble when I see it.

I put my blunt out tossing it and make my way in front of the man immediately adjusting his bow tie.

"Okay...so maybe we don't have the same reason but I think you might be on the wrong side of some shit." I adjust his bow tie and smile a little when I notice it is a bow tie. Cute.

"Observant," He remarks and he places his hands on my wrist, "And trust me...they're on the wrong side, dance with me?" His voice is smooth and quiet like an all too tempting poison and his touch cold and firm, his hands rough at certain edges. Eyes grey and green explore my face, while his eye lids low, low enough to just meet mines as I stood a bit shorter than him; even in heels.