Chapter 1

Keshi

“I’m finally in Watamu,” I squealed into my phone as I followed the concierge, Kim, down the grass stone floor texture pavement bordering a line of hibiscus and bougainvillaea. After six hours on the train, another two and a half hours in a matatu, and a five-minute Auto rickshaw drive I couldn’t help being excited.

I’d always wanted to visit the Kenyan coast, take a break from my busy life, the ever-busy Nairobi city, the unnerving traffic and there couldn’t be a more perfect time.

The morning ocean breeze summoned a slight movement of the leaves and caressed my chocolate skin. Involuntarily, I allowed my lungs to expand and absorb the fresh salty air.

“I’m so jealous right now.” I sensed a pout on my cousin Koki’s face. “I can’t wait for the weekend to arrive so I can come join you.”

My cousin was one of those people who would spend their lives on vacation if that were ever a thing.

I smirked. “Rest assured I’ll keep you updated on every detail.”

“Oh, I’ll be counting on it. After what Kevin did, I expect you to let go and have some fun.”

On the mention of his name, a knot began to form in my chest, I swallowed hard, attempting to push the urge to cry deep inside.

Kevin was my first love. He and I met during my freshman year at the University. After graduation, I thought he was going to propose. When he didn’t, I remained patient. We were still too young, we still hadn’t figured out our lives and had just started our careers, one of these days, he was going to pop that question.

I should have read the signs, I should have known it was over when he went radio silent for months. But I kept holding on to hope, believing he had a good reason for not answering my calls. That’s until I saw the photos of him with his new fiance, my best friend, ex-best friend, all over social media.

The next two days were spent on my cousin’s couch crying my eyes out, feeling stupid for worrying about him, cursing myself for not listening to Koki when she told me to open my eyes, wondering why I wasn’t enough for him, asking myself how Vicky could have done that to me and how long they had been together. That’s until I woke up on the third day with a newfound resolution.

Koki’s calm apologetic voice snapped me out of my thoughts. “I shouldn’t have brought him up, you shouldn’t be thinking of him on your vacation.”

“I’m not giving him the time of day,” I assured her.

“We’re here.” Kim’s voice prompted me to lift my head and take in the sight in front of me.

Surrounded by mangroves, palm trees and the endless sandy beach were cottages with white painted walls and palm leaves thatched roofing standing around a central mountain lake-shaped swimming pool.

“Does it resemble the picture on the website?” Koki inquired.

“Even better,” I said breathily.

“I’ll let you settle,” she said, “I’ll be waiting for those pics.”

We finished our chat and I paused to take a picture of the cottages. This was going to be on my Facebook page and WhatsApp status today, show Kevin and Vicky I wasn’t affected.

I followed Kim across the pavement on the side of the pool that was flanked by African-themed curvings and bonfires to the entrance of one of the small cottages.

Placing my duffle bag on the floor, he dug in the pockets of his blue cotton shirt uniform, pulled out a key, and opened the door.

I slowly stepped inside and my eyes wandered around the airy living room with high ceilings and large windows. Below the central ornate rug was mahogany furniture with white, red, and brown colour schemes. The white walls were decorated with African artwork and the room was brought to life by potted greenery that was strategically positioned.