Chapter 13

Keshi

“Fort Jesus was built in 1593 by the Portuguese.” Our middle-aged thirty-year tour guide began his narration in front of the ruins model on the wallboard. From a distance, the sound of waves could be heard and with each slight breeze, the salty scent of the ocean water was whiffed into our noses. Above us, crows and ravens made loud raspy caws and kraas as they hovered around. “Curved from a dead coral, the structure was made into the shape of Jesus on the cross. The building was a military base to protect the old Mombasa town. The stone can exist for up to two thousand million years but now it’s only four hundred and thirty-one years old.”

“That’s impressive,” I said, letting my eyes wander over the model and marvel at the design and form of the structure. A structure that told a tale of slavery, and the subject of war. A revelation of Arab, Portuguese and British influence on the Kenyan coast.

Darren nodded in agreement. “Indeed it is.”

Beginning our tour, the guide took us down a narrow passage with steps and led us into the ammunition store. Next was the watch tower.

“The ocean and the town look beautiful from up here.” I lifted my phone to capture the view through the curved watch tower hole. Getting down the steps, I paused to take a selfie of myself.

“May I help you with that?” Darren said, stretching his hand out.

“Sure.” I handed him my phone, took a few steps back and posed for the photos. “I think those are enough,” I said when he’d taken several.

“How about I take a photo of the two of you?” Reese snatched the phone from Darren before nudging him forward.

He chuckled then walked to my side. “Hope you don’t mind.”

I inclined my head to glance at him. “I should be asking you that. You are the celebrity here.”

“I don’t mind.”

“Eyes on the camera,” Reese demanded. “And smile.”

“Is it done?” Darren asked when Reese dropped his hands.

“No, I want you to get a little closer.”

“Oh,” I closed the distance between us.

“Something is still missing.” He tapped his chin. “Odek, why don’t you put your arm around her.”

“Is that really necessary?” Darren argued.

“You look like a couple of statues,” he teased. “Now do as I say.”

“Okay.” Darren gave in. Sliding his hand across my back, he let his palm grab my upper arm.

Reese let out a sigh. “I meant her waist, but that works too.” Heat rushed to my face at the thought of Darren’s arm around my waist. “Now that’s a good picture,” he said, studying the image on my phone.

“Can I see it?” I asked.

“Hold on a sec. I’ll take a few more.”

Lacey captured more photos of us with her camera. Handing it to our driver, the couple then came to join us. Eventually, we stepped away and left the love birds in the spotlight.

“I don’t think he likes me very much,” I said, catching our driver giving me another judging look. I was now sure I wasn’t overthinking it.

“Who? Kunde? He’s one of the nicest people I’ve met on this trip. I don’t think he has the heart to not like anyone.”

“If you say so.”

The guide showed us around the residential section, then took us to the museum housing a collection of the recovered artefacts, weaponry and instruments, and lastly, the shop where we ended up buying souvenirs.