Chapter 3

Keshi

There’s nothing more appealing at a party than good food.

To say I was here for something more than the free food was a lie.

I loved eating. And I was one of those people who would eat anything edible. Thank God my metabolism worked wonders. No matter how much food I stuffed in my mouth, there was never a significant change in my body. I’d never gone to the gym. The closest thing I did to exercise was accompanying my student to their PE lesson or doing a little jumping on games time and sports day.

I casually walked along the long mahogany table blossoming with a variety of mouth-watering delicacies and stopped in front of the tray of Kaimatis to add more to my plate. I’d never tasted these sugar-coated dumplings before until today. But the moment the first crunchy dumpling touched my tongue, I knew I would be an addict. And at the rate I was devouring these snacks, I was going to get a sugar rush.

I popped one Kaimati in my mouth and moaned at the satisfying taste. I could eat these all week and not get tired.

I counted the Kaimatis on my plate. Five, those weren’t going to be enough. I needed more, or else I would be back here in no second.

A forked another five then paused, deciding whether ten was a good number. I settled on adding two more.

“Are you going to leave some for the rest of us?” A warm husky voice coming from behind made me jump. The fork flew out of my hand and made a dramatic clinking sound as it fell on the floor.

“That was my last.” I quickly defended myself as I spun around. “Y-You!”

It was that guy. The one who laughed at me dancing to my favourite song. The guy who had taken over the pool when I wanted to go swimming.

I hadn’t noticed his features earlier when he was standing a few meters away from me. He was tall, I had to tilt my head to look at his face. He had a fade haircut that must have taken at least an hour to make it that perfect. His face was perfectly curved with high cheekbones and a squared rigid jaw. Espresso brown-skinned, with a rocking body that indicated his discipline in the gym.

And he had that annoying yet beautiful smile on his mouth.

A frown took over my face. “You almost scared me to death.”

“I could only have scared you like that if you were doing something illegal. Were you?”

My scowl deepened. “I wasn’t.”

“Weren’t you trying to take all those snacks for yourself?” he gestured at the tray behind me and my eyes followed his hand.

“There are like a thousand of those. I wouldn’t have eaten all of them.”

He chuckled. “If you say so.”

I bent over and picked up the now useless fork, walked to the next table, and placed it among the other dirty dishes.

When I came back, the guy hadn’t moved, the plate in his hand was still empty. And he was staring at me in a way that made me feel exposed, like he was seeing right through me.

“I wanted to apologize,” he said, as I picked up my plate. “It wasn’t nice of me to intrude on a private moment.”

“You laughed at me.” I pointed out the main thing he should be apologizing for.

“I did.” He smiled.

I gave him an icy stare, my lips pressed firmly together.

He ran his hand across the back of his neck. “I’m sorry.”