Chapter 5

Keshi

I doubted I would remember half of the things I’d learned. But this day would be in my memory for as long as I lived.

“What are your plans for the rest of the day?” Kim inquired as we walked away from the van parked in the driveway.

“I’ll probably go swimming later this afternoon,” I answered. “I haven’t tasted the ocean water yet.”

He pouted. “Wish I was free so I could join you.”

“There is always a next time.” I enjoyed Kim’s company, he was fun to hang with. We’d only met yesterday but he made me feel like we’d known each other our entire lives. “So when will you be free to teach me how to make Kaimatis?”

“I’ll check my schedule then text you. Can I have your phone number?”

“Sure.” I nodded and he handed me his phone. “One quick question, you don’t have to answer me if it’s against hotel policy.”

“Go on.”

I glanced at where ‘pool guy’ who I now knew to be Odek and his companion, Reece and Lacey, stood with a few guests meters away from us. For the third time today, he and his friend were signing autographs. “Are they some kind of celebrities?” I asked.

Kim cracked a laugh. “You mean you don’t know who Darren Odek is!”

My brows pulled together in a frown. “Should I?” Darren Odek…That name sounded familiar, and so did his face. I’d been trying to remember where I saw him from since yesterday but nothing had come to mind.

I handed over his phone after entering my digits.

He pocketed it. “You are not a fan of football I suppose.”

“I’ve lived with three men who are obsessed with football but I’ve never been wrapped in it. I mean, it’s a great sport but I can’t withstand ninety-plus minutes of anxiety waiting to see if my team wins or loses.”

My big brother, Brian, always said football was all about the thrill but I couldn’t just bring myself to watch it. I always waited for someone to tell me which team won at the end when the game was over.

He chuckled. “Guess that’s why you don’t know him. Odek is one of Kenya’s successful football players. He is playing for one of the teams in the Premier League.”

“Oh, I see…” I pressed my lips together in a thin line.

“I’ll get going. See you around,” he said before walking towards the hotel’s main entrance.

I didn’t move after Kim left, instead, I took another glance at Darren. As if sensing my eyes on him, he looked in my direction, pinning his dark gaze on me.

I glanced away, taking that as a cue to slip away.

When I arrived at the cottage, I searched him on Google. There was nothing much on the Wikipedia page. Most of it was details about his career and barely anything about his personal life.

Not satisfied with the washed-down information, I followed the link to his Instagram page.

His most recent post was a photo of him lying on a swinging bed in our backyard. He was in white shorts with matching buttoned-up shirts with the first two buttons left open. His eyes were covered with sunglasses and his pause was effortless. If he wasn’t a successful football player, he would definitely have a career in modelling.

A scrolled down, taking a look at more of his posts. Most of them were of him on the pitch doing some workouts, a few promotions, and regular posts.

The promotion videos reminded me of where I’d seen him from. My TV, almost every time I watch the news. I felt so stupid for not recognizing him. Well, it didn’t matter if I did, it’s not like I would have asked for an autograph.

Halfway through his three hundred and fifty posts, I logged out of Instagram and called Koki.

“Do you know Darren Odek?”

“Y-Yeah. Why?”

“I’m I the only person who doesn’t know who the guy is?”

“That doesn’t surprise me. You hate football.”

“I don’t hate…” I breathed out heavily. “Darren Odek is here.”

She gasped. “In Watamu?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh. My. Goodness.” She paused. “Hold on a sec,” she said. “Are you sure it’s him? We all know you know nothing about ball.”

I made an eye roll. “Of course it’s him. I’ve been stalking him on social media, I would have known if it wasn’t.”

“Have you met him? Have you talked to him?”

My voice went quiet. “He’s the guy who laughed at my terrible dancing.”

“Wait…What?” My cousin burst into laughter.

I squeezed my eyes shut. “Please don’t start again. You already laughed at me yesterday.”

“I’m sorry?” I could feel her struggling to hold back the giggles. “So how did you find out that he is Darren?”

I went on to tell her the events of the day.

Letting out a sigh, she said, “I wish it was already Saturday, I’m dying to meet him in person.”

“It’s Thursday, just one more day to go. And I guess he wouldn’t mind having one more fan hovering around him. I mean, he doesn’t have a problem signing autographs.”

“You sound like his manager.”

I frowned. “It’s just an observation.”

She chuckled. “Have you also observed how hot he is?”

“He is good-looking, I guess.” Not that it mattered to me. I wasn’t interested in dating right now. I was a long way from healing.

“I know he is single, do you think I have a chance with him?”

“Of course you do,” I said.

Koki was gorgeous, thick with those voluptuous curves that seemed to drive every Kenyan man crazy. I was more to the slender side, with slight curves, a man wouldn’t look at me twice. Not that I wanted any man’s attention on me, especially now. I hated being the centre of someone’s attention.

I’d never been insecure about my body but after Kevin left me for Vicky, I couldn’t help but wonder if he wouldn’t have walked away if I had that figure.

I shook my head, clearing the thoughts out of my mind. My day started so well, I wasn’t letting anything ruin it.

“I need to get back to work. Talk later.”

After I ended the call with Koki, I made myself a light lunch before setting in motion my afternoon plans. Knowing that the tides would be high around four o’clock, I decided to go finish yesterday’s walk. This time, I wasn’t going to let the heat stop me.

I was barely outside my door when I saw Darren, Reece, and Lacey walking toward the next-door cottage.

I had to thank them for the ride. My mother would be disappointed in me if I didn’t.

The door had closed behind them when I began my walk across the corridor. Stopping in front of the door, I lifted my hand and knocked. Then I waited as the footsteps drew closer.

“Hi!” I said when Reece opened the door.

“Hi,” he answered. “Do you want me to call Darren?”

“No.” I shook my head. Why would he think that I wanted him? “I just wanted to thank you for letting me tag along earlier.”

“Oh. No problem.”

“O-Okay.” I took a step back. “See you around.”

He nodded.

With that, I was off to the beach.