Two Idiots Kiss

On Tuesday evening, the woman Draco had met on Friday was already at the bar counter when he arrived.

He had chosen his usual glamoured features: rounder-face, dark wavy hair and green eyes, his body and skin-tone remaining his own though.

She reached for her drink – the same orange concoction from the other night – and then her brown eyes met his green ones through the mirrored wall.

Draco saw her lips form a small smile and he took that as an invitation to sit beside her at the counter.

"Evening, Miss." He said as he sat on the bar stool.

"Hello."

"Will you grace me with your name tonight?"

She nodded once, "I'm Jean."

He raised an eyebrow, showing her he did not believe her. "Alright, Miss Jean. I'm Jake."

Her smile grew, obviously noticing he had chosen to omit his true name as well.

"Well, Jake," she said, "How is your week going so far?"

"Not so good." He said with a small grimace.

"No changes regarding your woman?"

"She's not my woman, Miss Jean. If she were I'd be home with her right now and not here." He looked at the barman and the man nodded, knowing already what to serve him. "No... my interactions with her have been just work and arguments as usual." He sighed, shaking his head. "It's embarrassingly pathetic... I truly need to move on."

"What do you and she argue about?" Jean asked with a cocked head.

"Nothing and everything." He answered honestly, bringing his tumbler of whisky to his lips. "I admit I am the main instigator of our heated discussions; although sometimes I'm able to behave, but she finds my good-behaviour suspicious and we end up exchanging insults and even death threats anyway."

He heard Jean chuckle softly: "I find it hard to imagine you threatening to kill someone."

"Well," He raised his glass to his lips again. "You've known me for less than two hours total."

"That may be true, but you've been nothing but nice to me so far." She shrugged. "Also... whenever you mention this woman, there's this warmth in your eyes. It's quite endearing."

"Sounds sappy." He said, wrinkling his nose.

"No... it's sweet." She smiled. "I can't understand how she doesn't see you love her though. It's blatantly obvious."

Draco grimaced, as if it pained him to hear that. "I must say I'm glad she's oblivious to my patheticism." He stared at his glass of whisky for a while before taking a sip. "I've loved her for so long... knowing she'll never be mine." he lowered his voice to a near-whisper as he admitted: "When I'm in her presence... my mind fills up with so many inappropriate thoughts; arguing with her is the closest I'll ever be to making her lose herself with me."

He saw Jean's expression of confusion as she asked: "So angering her is your way to at least have her eyes on you? Even if they want to murder you?"

He shrugged. "Sounds mental when you say it but... it's all I'll ever have from her. She's too good for me."

"Have you tried," she exhaled, seeming upset. "I don't know, talking to her about your feelings? Maybe asking her out?"

Draco let out an unamused laugh. "Ah, yes, I tried making my feelings known once. I did all the romantic things: flowers, chocolates, sweet words in pretty cards."