Two Idiots in a Restaurant

Two days later, Draco sat across his best friend at a restaurant table during lunchtime, his mood as dark as the Manor during Voldemort's reign as he recalled the hellish morning he had had.

Earlier that day, on his way to the Department of Mysteries lift, he had (accidentally, of course) overheard a conversation between Her and her assistant as he passed by her department.

"He's gorgeous," She was saying as she stood beside her assistant's desk. "And such a gentleman. He even asked before kissing me, can you believe it?"

Draco had felt the proverbial "blood running cold" many talked about as he realised the implications of her words: She had been kissing someone; a he, a man – worse than just a man: a gentleman – had put his lips (and who knew what else) on her!

And She sounded pleased with his manners.

Bloody hell.

He hadn't been able to find it in him to greet her as their eyes met for a brief moment. Anger and jealousy consuming him like Fiendfyre, even (and most specially) as he looked down her body and was reminded that it was Casual Friday – which meant she looked gloriously delicious in light-blue jeans, purple jumper and pink trainers.

"Couldn't leash that hair today, Granger?" he was provoking her before he could stop himself, motioning her curls gathered in a high ponytail and not in the usual bun, hiding his desire to hold on to that ponytail and snog her until she forgot about every man who had ever touched her before him!

But She just rolled her eyes at him and smiled: "Not all women are tameable little pureblood ladies, Malfoy. And there are men who know how to love and appreciate the wildness of some of us."

Fuck.

Granger 1, Malfoy 0 – and it wasn't even nine yet.

Her words felt like a punch to his guts; not only she had kissed a man but the bastard knew to appreciate her wildness.

I can appreciate it too, Granger. I'd love to have a chance to show you just how much I appreciate all of your wildness, cheekiness, sexiness- you'd feel fully appreciated by the time I was done with you.

But Draco didn't say any of that out loud, fisting his hands on his sides he added to the insult: "Wildness? So you finally accepted Firenze's advances?" he shook his head. "We all know of your love for magical creatures, Granger, but that's a little extreme even for you."

She glared at him, "When a wild centaur can be more civilised and interesting than a man society calls a Lord," she pointedly looked him up and down, making it clear she was comparing the half-horse to him - and he was the lesser one, "I can't see why my accepting his courtship would be considered extreme."

Draco froze, not believing what he was hearing: "You went out with a centaur?"

She scoffed, "I don't see how that's any of your business, Malfoy."

"Granger." He knew he sounded growly but he couldn't fully control his jealousy right then.

A centaur? He was going to lose her to a sodding centaur?

"Malfoy." She copied his warning tone with her arms folded and then rolled her eyes, walking into her office and closing the door.

Draco looked at her assistant, demanding to know: "Miss Fawcett, did she really-?"

"No, Mr. Malfoy. She is not dating Firenze." The young woman laughed.

"But there is someone." he insisted.