The End of the Idiocy Era

Narcissa rested her hand on Draco's arm and walked him from table to table, thanking each of the ladies for their presence.

"Mrs. Ackhurst," said Narcissa as they stopped by a table. "Thank you for coming and bringing your lovely daughter. Miss Ackhurst-"

"It was a lovely evening, Lady Malfoy." Said Mrs. Ackhurst, looking at Draco with disdain, adding: "In spite of it all." before leaving with her daughter.

Draco found her contempt strange, but didn't dwell on it, glancing back at Granger, who was enjoying another serving of tea from the tea cup they had both drank from.

He couldn't believe she had spent four days rewatching their conversations (the good and bad ones) and still chose to come to the party.

"Stop looking at Hermione!" Narcissa hissed, pulling on his arm, as they walked to another table. "I had to do enough damage control already!"

They reached the next table and Narcissa turned to the ladies: "Thank you for coming, Mrs. Alderton, Miss Alderton."

Both women nodded rather coolly before leaving the room, their behaviour making him frown.

"Some Ladies" explained Narcissa, as they moved to the last table. "were offended by your paying attention only to Hermione for the past twenty minutes."

Draco then noticed the ugly stares being cast on Granger's direction as the ladies walked out of the room.

"Oh, so they know of my interest in her."

"Of course they do, Draco." Narcissa rolled her eyes. "You and Hermione were basically eye-fucking each other while verbally foreplaying."

He shrugged, unable to find it in himself to care for their opinions, for he was minutes away from reaching an understanding with Her.

"Draco," said Narcissa, bringing him back to the present and sighing, "I'll escort these lovely ladies out. You go back to Hermione." She touched his chest, where she knew the jewellery box with the stargaze ring rested inside his coat pocket.

He nodded and watched her leave the room with Miss Daugherty and her mother.

Then the double doors to the tea room closed, leaving Draco alone in the large space with Her.

Granger stood up and walked towards him, her honey-coloured eyes fixed on him, daring and beckoning him to get closer.

"Do you know why you're the only one still here, Hermione?" he asked softly as they met half-way.

"Yes, Draco. The Ladies' Manual to a Successful Courtship told me about what it means being the only Lady not asked to leave a Tea Party."

He laughed, "Yes, that one's a must read." then, looking into her eyes, he picked up her left hand, bringing it to his lips slowly. "And has that book told you how a successful courtship ends?" he waited for her answer with bated breath; butterflies fluttered in his stomach and his heart beat so fast he felt he might vomit and have a heart attack at the same time.

"Yes." She whispered, taking a step closer and tilting her head back to continue to look into his eyes. "A successful courtship ends in marriage."

"And is that- how- I mean, would you want that?" Draco felt his brain failing him, feeling in the threshold of an important life-changing moment and fearing a single word might ruin it.

"Well," she said with a soft smile, her other hand moving up his chest. "I did come here when I heard you'd have to choose a fiancée tonight, didn't I?"