# ── THE EVENING BEING CAPERMINE'S ENEMY.

CAPERMINE HAS NEVER HAD A PEACEFUL NIGHT, AS THE SOUNDS OF WHIRS AND CHUGS OF MACHINERY CONTRAPTIONS OF VEHICLES WITH THE EXTERMINATOR GROUP PASSED ON BY

CAPERMINE HAS NEVER HAD A PEACEFUL NIGHT, AS THE SOUNDS OF WHIRS AND CHUGS OF MACHINERY CONTRAPTIONS OF VEHICLES WITH THE EXTERMINATOR GROUP PASSED ON BY. It had recently rained, a few droplets dripping on down to merge with puddles of solitude down below.

It all seemed quite calm, until the ringing of a bell was heard. It rang around 5 times, leaving a small pause, before doing the exact amount multiple times. This was to be a declaration of announcing the curfew, and with the enduring yells of urges to stay inside by the Boxtrolls Exterminators, it was not something that could be overlooked for anymore seconds awaiting.

Elliot rubbed their eyes, a yawn leaving the obviously—tired child, as they hesitantly gripped their net—spear: a thingamajig that appeared to have two buttons, one to stretch out a net to capture any Boxtrolls, while the other one happened to be for the spear to be straightened out, sharpened and ready to jab at any Boxtrolls.

But, Elliot didn't feel it in themselves to actually use the spear: those Boxtrolls petrified them to say the least. So, they stuck by both their father and brother, Benny.

Although, they were now dozing off again, so they were jolted back awake by Benny, their beloved brother, who held a coy smirk on his face.

" Falling asleep again, El? "

Elliot slouched their shoulders, shaking their head with denial seeping through them, but their whole attitude was being shown like a spotlight, by their obvious embarrassment and shallow weariness starting to take over. From them slipping back to an almost inescapable slumber, Benny resorted to jabbing them gently with the smoother side of the net—spear he was holding.

As a result, the other merely jolted upwards, even more aggressively this time and a frown was uncomfortably splattered onto their face. Feverishly, they hastily pushed Benny's contraption away from themselves, rubbing their own arms to give themselves warmth in some form of way.

As the Exterminating Vehicle rolled about the streets of Capermine, Elliot then mumbled: " Don't do that again, those things just . . . — " They couldn't place it in certain words, but Benny was smart and understanding enough to sense that being jabbed with one of these weapons was something that brought great discomfort to his sibling.

Placing the weapon to his side, as the Exterminators were polishing their weapons and manoeuvring the automobile: he placed a hand onto their shoulder, patting it softly, but with a hint of amateurishness. Maybe, this was with the possibility of Benny not knowing how to comfort his sibling from some weapon that caused a jab of a horrid, yet uneasy energy towards their way.

" Sorry, El. Just, wanted to wake you up. But, uh, those things won't need to be used on you. Don't worry about that !   " With a laugh, he playfully El, who felt a small smile slip up onto their face.