ch.10 masks

I yawned as I pulled up the teams communications. "Testing, testing can you all hear me?" I heard many, tired mumbles answer in response. "Alright guys, its time to call it a night. Get home, dinner is almost ready. That means you too Kai." I stated, making sure Kai knew he was included in that bunch. I heard an annoyed sigh come from the other end of the radio. "Fine. We're on our way." Their radios cut, signaling that I was good to turn off the communication center for the night. Once I was done that I made my way around the underground lab, turing off lights as I went. Soon it was engulfed in nothing but darkness as I made my way to the elevator that would take me upstairs.

"Jay, I see you called it a night. Are the others on thair way back?" Misaco's voice rang in my ears as I looked around the yard, noticing the others excluding Zane training on the older equipment. "They are, were is Zane?" I looked around once more, unable to find him. "Hes in the kitchen, he offered to cook tonight since I haven't had a break from doing so in a while. The others also agreed it was a nice treat after everything." I nodded in response as a wide grin grew on my face, yaaas, I can't wait to have zanes cooking again! Misaco giggled, "and by the look on your face, I would say you agree." She teased, a small smug smile on her face as she made her way over to Wu. We all paused as the doors opened, an echo of the past few days as the others returned from thair patrol. Nerou walked in beside Shade, both seemingly in conversation. Karloff walked in on his own, followed by Griffen who seemed to fiddle with his hands nervously as Kai followed him inside, mumbling to himself. "Perfect timing on you guys parts, dinner is ready." Zanes calm voice echoed, calling us all inside to the new large table built to hold even more of us now.

I saw everyone's eyes light up to the array of food on the table... well, almost everyone's. Kai sat in his spot beside me. Almost as stern as ever, not even acknowledging the others around him. It was as if you were looking at a stone statue that was slowly breaking, and if you touch it in one wrong way, it would shatter. I sighed to myself, looking down at my food as I picked at it. "I just want the old hothead back." I mumbled to myself subconsciously. "What was that Jay?" I jumped slightly, glancing over at Kai who sat there, drinking his tea with an eyebrow raised. "Nothing, don't worrie about it. Just mumbled to myself about one of my inventions." I lied. He hummed. "If you say so."

I sighed as I entered the bathroom in my shared room with the guys as Jay's words echoed in my head.

"I just want the old hothead back"

I turned slightly, looking at my reflection in the mirror. "What is wrong my liege? I can tell something is bothering you." M's voice filled my ears once more as I examined myself in the mirror. "You don't think my old self is better do you?" I asked aloud, no one was in the room anyways. "Well, he certainly did have more emotion, something you have let go a long time ago. I wouldint say he was better but I would say, he was more comfortable to be around. Your much more powerful than he was but it would be nice to be able to have a conversation with you, without you being afraid of getting attached. As much as your strong without others to weaken you, you also lack those who strengthen you, besides me." I paused, thinking about his responsed as I traced over the green mark over my eyelid. "So, you do think I was better in the past, but in a way where I had more recorces, not strength?" I asked, confused at his response. "My liege I belive you are perfect nomater what you, you are. Who you are now is just as powerful as the old you, you just lack allies and a cover face. In order for your plan to succeed, you must play onto thair fantasy." I paused and thought about it again. "So you belive I should gather those who will follow me, yet play along with everyone else vision of the best me as a coverup to make it look like I'm on thair side when in reality its for my own betterment." I stated. M's voice hummed in response. A grin appeared on my face. "Well then, if they want to the old Kai back, than the old Kai is what they will get. In the meantime, I belive its time we start to hash out our plan, find this stupid artifact so you can work for me as an equal, by my side." I heard a curious hum from M before he started to speak "oh? No offense my liege but I thought you didn't want to get attached to anyone, its seen as a sign of weakness?" I laughed at his small comment. "Well, that may be true for everyone else, however, you said it yourself. Your immortal, you can't die. If the one I'm attached to can't die than is that really a weakness? Besides you have proven yourself to be just as powerful as I am already, the way you were able to tell me the exact room Aspheera was in and how she would react without second thought was remarkable. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't have you by my side." I stated, taking my shirt off as I turned on the shower head. "Is that so my liege. Well then may I possibly suggest an alliance for us?" I hummed intrigued, getting into the shower. "Go ahead." I stated as I grabbed the shampoo to wash out my obviously greasy hair. I supose that's what I get for not taking care of myself for a month. "There is someone in your team who I have worked with before. In fact, he was the one who had helped me get into your mind so I could help you, I belive he may still be open to help us with our plan as he shared many of the same ambitions as us, plus, his power can be incredibly useful to us. All you need to do is get him alone, it won't take much to convince him, I'm sure." His voice echoed in my ears, I smiled, watching the dirt that laced my skin fall to the floor of the shower. "Considering the change in attitude im going to display tomorrow, along with this clean new look. I'm sure I can get him alone. His name?" I heard a small laugh. "Indeed, Jay and the others would be so flabbergasted at the sudden old Kai returning to them, that they won't realize what's going on when you meet with him, after all, I'm sure Nerou has a few good words to share with you my liege." I grinned at M's words.

"Nerou huh?"

AND IM BACK WITH AN EVEN BIGGER AND BADDER IDEA THAN EVER BEFORE! MASKS ARE BEING OUT ON AND ALLIES ARE TO BE MADE, HOW DO YOU THINK THIS WILL END, THIS ENTIRE CHERADE!?