~Chapter 4~

~ Six Years Later ~

Aelara sat at the expertly carved dining table of Casterly Rock, contently eating her breakfast of fruits, nuts and porage. 

Next to her sat the lady of the house Lannister, Lady Johanna, whom she had grown to call Johanna, both of the women opting to skip any formal titles after the first month Aelara was with them.

The two women had grown quite close, Aelara even helping her care for her young children. 

The two women, along with other members of House Lannister whom Alara was familiar with, sat in the dining hall decorated in red and gold tapestries, with murals of scenes from history carved into the thick wooden walls.

Casual and easy conversations filled the room, but it was noted that Jason Lannister head of House Lannister was absent. Aelara knew that he was most likely passed out drunk from the night before, with his "overindulgence" of the famed Lannister wine.

"We should walk the coast today. The tides have not been this low in months." Johanna stated. 

The only time sand could be seen at Lannisport was when the tide was out, so a day like today was perfect for a stroll, breathing in the fresh salty air. 

"Yes today is particularly lovely, perhaps we should bring the children with us. Let them run along the sands." 

Aelara had grown fond of Johannas children, particularly Tyshara. 

Johanna nodded in agreement as a squire approached their seats with a stack of letters for the both of them. "M'lady. Princess." the young boy said as he bowed deeply. "Letters for the both of you." 

"Thank you." Johanna said to the boy, Aelara nodding to him at the same time. The squire darted off leaving the two women with their mail. 

Most were addressed to Johanna and her children with offers of marriage despite the eldest of the girls being but 10 years old. 

Sifting through the letters Aelara came upon a particularly thick envelope. The paper was expensive as the quality was impeccable. 

She turned it in her hands to see a black Targaryen stamp. Curious Aelara opened the letter where she sat instead of waiting and taking it back up to her chambers. 

To the Princess Aelara Targaryen,

The King Viserys and Queen Alicent would like to invite you to reside in Kings landing for the coming months, as many believe that the House Targaryen must remain united for the continuation of our ancient House and name. The King and Queen will be expecting your arrival within the week, all necessities will be provided by the crown during your stay in the capital. Guards will be posted outside your chambers for 24 hours each day and if you wish, you may choose a single sworn protector of the Kingsguard for the entirety of your stay. We await your quick response.

Signed Otto Hightower hand of the King. 

Surprised by the letter Aelara read over it once more before sliding it over to Johanna who had returned to her breakfast. 

Johanna read the letter audibly gasping when reading who had addressed it to Aelara. 

"Are you going to accept?" the woman questioned. 

"I don't believe I have a choice" Aelara answered. 

Aelara had a few handmaidens pack a variety of gowns and her training clothes along with other necessities she wished to bring with her to the capital, including many letters from her sisters and the few from her father.  

Aelara packed the few of her mother which she had left, including a golden necklace with a small emerald in its centre.

Aelaras handmaiden Roslyn entered the room by request of Aelara, she had previously ordered that she watch Johannas children as their carer had fallen ill. 

"I have been summoned to Kingslanding" Aelara stated sitting on the chest at the end of her bed. 

"Yes M'lady, I had heard from lady Johanna." 

Standing Aelara stated, "I wish for you to accompany me."

"I would be honoured, to accompany you and continue as your handmaiden in the capital." 

Aelara smiled at the older woman. She was tall and had dark hair very similar to Aelaras in texture, which the princess was grateful for as other handmaidens never knew how to treat her curls, often brushing them out leaving her hair a mess. 

"We will be leaving within the hour, pack your belongings and see that they are taken down to the carts, I do not wish for you to carry them yourself." 

"Yes, shall walk you to the Jady Johannas chambers on my way down?" the woman asked. 

Smiling Aelara accepted her offer and the two women walked arm in arm out of her chambers. 

Aelara and Johanna sat patiently in the carriage, as they had done for the last nine days. The journey was long and Aelara had written to the King and Queen along with her father and sisters about her summoning to Kings Landing. none of whom had replied. 

The carriage came to a stop and Aelara could hear the knights announcing both Aelaras and Johannas arrival, along with Tyshara in a long drone.

Aelara was the last to step out of the carriage. 

The King and Queen stood on one of the lower steps of the castle closer to Alara, Behind them, a few steps up stood Otto Hightower, Prince Aegon and Aemond. It was a shock to see how much her cousins had changed over the years. 

Aegon looked as if he had risen from the dead, with dark undereye bags and greasy hair clearly lacking maintenance. He was frowning, looking overly bored with this greeting.

Aemond had grown over a foot since the last time Aelara saw him. She estimated that he would be at least a head taller than her. His hair was neatly tied back and was wearing a black leather eyepatch.  

Aelara walked over to the King and Queen curtsying deeply. "Your majesty's" 

"Please my niece. There is no need for such formalities" Viserys spoke. His health had begun to deteriorate and along with his missing arm now had many small scabs on his face and neck. 

"I am honoured that you have invited me to stay under your roof." Aelara said. 

"The pleasure is ours child" Alicent spoke. "Aegon, Aemond. Come and greet your dear cousin." 

The brothers descended the steps, Aegon pulling Aelara into a sloppy embrace, smelling of alcohol and sweat, Aelara healed her breath until he pulled away. "My, you have grown into a woman... an extremely beautiful one I say." 

"Thank you cousin. You honour me" Aelara returned. 

Aemond was looking down at Aelara, she was correct in assuming that he was just over a head taller than her. She could now see the scar that ran under his eyepatch. 

"Welcome to Kings Landing dearest cousin." he spoke, his voice smooth and low.