~Chapter 7~

Aelara entered the dining room arm-in-arm with Aemond.

The two were greeted by Viserys, Alicent and Otto. The trio engaged in an easy conversation. As Aelara and Aemond entered the room the attention was drawn to them. Aemond had quickly dropped Arlaras arm, taking a step aside, distancing himself from her.

Aelara was almost hurt by this sudden change in attitude towards her. It was only minutes ago he was offering her flowers and brushing her hair from her face.

Aelara kept her smile plastered to her face as Alicent directed her to her seat, which by her luck was right next to Aemond. He was now no longer full of the easy playfulness he had before, but now his face held nothing but a cold glare burning to the table in front of him.

Aelara had been in a deep conversation with Alicent, discussing the girl's journey from Casterly Rock, when Aegon and Helaena entered the room. Helaena took up the seat beside Aelara and Aegon next to her. Aelara was the opposite of Alicent making conversation easy.

A range of food was brought out and Aelaras stomach grumbled as the smell of Beef stew and roasted vegetables hit her nose. Aelara had begun to serve herself but paused as she realised no one else had begun to make their plates.

"Shall we say grace?" Alicent spoke

Everyone hummed in agreement as the Queen lead the family in prayer.

Aelara who admittedly was not the most religious person folded her hands and bowed her head, tho she did not pay much attention to the prayer Alicent directed. After Alicent had finished Helaena immediately began making a plate of food for herself, everyone else followed in her lead piling roasted meats and vegetables on their players and pouring themselves soups.

Aelara had accumulated a rather large plate of food wanting to try everything before her.

As she began her meal Viserys asked "Aelara, tell us. How is your father and sisters? We have not heard from Daemon in months."

"I was hoping you have heard from him. I have not seen I'm in almost a year, and his letters are few and far between. In fact, I have not heard from him in the past month." Aelara spoke with a disappointed tone. She was hoping that now she was closer to her family she will hear more often of their doings.

With the mention of Daemon Otto had sat up straighter, listening more contently to Aelaras response. this change in attitude did not go unnoticed by Aelara, however, she thought nothing of it as her father has been known to be mysterious and reckless.

"And your sisters?" it was Alicent who questioned Aelara this time.

"They are well, Baela enjoys residing in Driftmark with my Grandmother, tho we are all worried about Grandfather. The Lord of the Tides has been on the waters for a long time, with no news on his whereabouts in the last half year."

"Ahh, Lord Corlys is a brave and noble worrier and sailer. I am confident he will return to Driftmake shortly." Viserys spoke with a hopeful and optimistic tone. Aelara ad spent many nights worrying over her grandfather, whom she had not seen in six long years.

the remainder of supper consisted of Aelara explaining her time in Casterly Rock, tho she left out many details, including the "training" she had received upon her own request.

Time had passed quickly and Helaena and Otto had already left both claiming that they should get some much-needed rest. Viserys had also called for the guards to help him back to his rooms. Once they arrived he and the Queen left bidding Aelara, Aemond and Aegon a good night's rest.

The three of them stood and Aegon made his way over to Aelara who was pushing her chair back into place. Aemond had not said a word the entire dinner and Aelara was already planning to ask him what his sudden mood change was about. The drunken Aegon stumbled over to the princess leaning into her side and whispering into her ear, "You should know cousin, If your bed grows lonely, my chambers are always open for a maiden as beautiful as yourself."

Taken aback Aelara took a step away from her cousin who smelled strongly of alcohol. aelara suspected that it was not only wine he had been drinking tonight. She then felt her heart ache for Heleana who married this cheating fool.

Aegon stepped forward grabbing Aelaras forearm beginning to pull her closer to him. only then did Aemond grab Aegon by the collar of his shirt.

By sheer strength and force, Aemond dragged his brother from the room practically throwing him out before turning back to Aelara. "Many apologies for my brother, he clearly cannot handle his wine even after so many years."

A muffled complaint from Aemond could be heard from the hallway before Aemond ordered one of the guards to walk Aelara back to her chambers. Bidding her goodnight aemond them went after his brother who had stumbled further up the hall.

Once Aelara was back in her chambers, Roslyn drew the princess a bath lathering the girls skin with scented oils, which made her skin soft and smooth. Roslyn roughly braided Aelaras hair setting aside the flower which Aemond had placed there that afternoon. After soaking in the warm waters and recalling the days events to Roslyn, Aelara changed into a white nightgown crawling into the freshly made bed and almost instantly falling into a deep dreamless sleep.