~Chapter 10~

Aelara awoke earlier than usual the sun only just peeking over the horizon casting a pink and orange light over Kings Landing. The city was beginning to awaken with the sounds of birds singing and the wind softly blowing through the streets. 

Standing in front of the largest window in her chambers Aelara looked over the city admiring its beauty. She stood looking over the capital for some time only moving away when Roslyn entered the room. "Good morning princess, I did not expect you to be awake at this hour." 

"Yes I was just admiring the view. Come and watch the city awaken with me." Roslyn walked over to the Princess taking her outstretched hand. The handmaiden had taken a particular liking to the young girl when she first arrived at Casterly Rock, unable to have children of her own Roslyn took up a motherly role with the young girl only thirteen at the time, she counted herself lucky to be one of the few people aelara trusted with her thoughts. 

The two women stood hand in hand for many moments looking out onto the now lively city. Bells began to toll indicating that it was officially the beginning of the day, as stores began to open the streets grew louder and with that Aelara moved to ready herself for breakfast.

Aemond had promised to give her a tour of the city so Alera traded her usual floor-length gown for her leather tunic and pants. The entire outfit was black, her pants were a little too snug on her legs and waist but the leather had moulded perfectly to her body with months of wear. Her tunic had Hardened leather on her chest and stomach, not armour enough to stop a sword but firm enough to reduce damage. The tunic flared out into a short cloak giving a more feminine appearance. 

Roslyn slicked back Aelaras hair into a bun allowing a few curls to remain free to frame her face. Aelara is always in shock with how quickly the woman can tie back her hair, given that it takes Aelara at least double the time to make it look only half as good. 

"Would you like me to walk you down to breakfast?" Roslyn asked the princess. 

"No thank you. You should take some time for yourself today, walk the gardens or the markets in the city. I've heard they are lovely." 

"You have the purest of souls princess." she said rubbing the back of Aelaras hand. "Shall I see you back here before sundown?"

"Yes, I will return before supper." Aelara smiled at the woman as she dipped her head towards her as she turned to leave. Alera had told her many times before that she need not curtsy or bow towards her but Roslyn always responded stating that she like her ancestors will always honour tradition.

After tieing her boots Aelara made her way to the dining hall waving her guard (who she learned was Ser Keller, a tall middle-aged man from the Riverlands) off as they neared the hall. The man was not one for conversation which Aelara was grateful for as she too was of few words. He had informed her that when and if she chooses to take on a sworn protector that knight too would be stationed with her at all times. 

Aelara walked up to the near-empty dining hall with her feather-light step in silence. She was about to enter the room when she noticed that it was in fact not empty. The Queen was talking quite urgently to the limping man she had seen in the gardens earlier this week. Alicent looked as if she had not slept that night, she, Otto and the King had been absent at dinner last night, Aelara assumed that Alicents distressed demeanour was caused by this one issue. 

Aelara could not hear what the two were saying and instead of silently entering the room to listen in, she decided to give the queen her privacy, adopting a louder step, and clearing her throat as she walked in. 

Both Ailcent and the greasy man's heads whirled in her direction, Alicent seeming at ease when noticing that it was only Aelara, however, the man looked displeased. "My child, the hour is quite early, did you sleep well?" Alicent asked obviously tired herself. "Yes I slept quite well last night." Aelara answered eyeing the man leaning heavily on his walking cane. 

"Oh my dear, this is lord Larys Strong." Alicent said waving towards the man. Aelara smiled walking up to the both of them outstretching her hand "A pleasure to meet you lord Larys." aelara spoke her voice like honey as he shook her hand. 

"And you young princess." Larys spoke reminding Aelara of a snake with his slow serpent-like response. 

Larys left shortly after and Alicent offered to dine with Aelara which she politely declined stating that she was going to bring a plate back to her chambers to eat. The Queen whom obviously offered out of politeness wanted to be left to her thoughts, and seemed grateful for Aelaras prompt exit. 

The princess made her way back to her rooms only encountering a few Lords and Ladies of the courts, all of whom gave slight bows and nods to Alera which she returned. 

Smiling towards Ser Keller, Aelara entered her rooms placing her plate of toast and eggs onto the small ottoman in her sitting area. 

Before she could begin to eat she gave quick greetings to the servants whom had just tidied her chambers. She was about to dismiss them when she noticed a girl around the same age as her with golden hair. 

"Wait." She said and the team of women halted turning back to the princess, heads bowed to the floor. "You all can leave. But you." She said calmly walking towards the golden-haired girl. "Stay, eat with me." Aelara spoke with a controlled tone. 

The other servants scurried out of the room. Aelara striding behind them securing the door before slowly turning to the girl. 

"Sit eat." Aelara said waving a hand towards the chair she had been seated in moments ago. She had just now noticed how frail the girl was. Gliding over to her and pushing her plait of food towards her. "Eat, I have some questions to ask you." 

The girl slowly took a bite of the toasted bread looking up at the princes who had strolled to the window behind the chair she sat in. 

"So. How much information have you given to Lord Larys about myself and my family?" Aelara questioned. She had recognised the girl from the gardens. 

The girl froze staring at the princess in horror. "Do not worry, I am not my Father, I will not punish you for one bad deed... I do however want to know how much Larys is paying you to feed him information." 

"Princess... Please. I did not want to give him information on you or your family. But he has threatened my own." She had begun to cry as she spoke. 

"How, tell me how I can help you." Aelara had walked over to the girl and was crouching to be at eye level with her. She could now see just how hollow her cheeks were and the dark circles around her eyes. 

"My child." the girl whispered. "He is one of Aegons bastards... The Lord Larys, he threatened to "Rid the world of another Targaryen bastard"". 

Aelara truly felt for the girl, she knew of her elder cousin's ways with women, more so of his lack of respect. "I will help you and your child," Aelara spoke. "You need money do you not?" The girl nodded in response wiping her tearstained cheeks. 

"I will pay you ten gold every two weeks if you suspect your child is in danger bring him here. In exchange... I want you to be my eyes and ears..." 

It had been an hour since the servant girl had left aelaras chambers, she had told her more of her child who was named Ellion, also stating that her name was Jaslin. 

Aelara had almost forgotten of her plans for the day when she heard a sharp knock at the door, opening it to reveal both Aemond and Helaena, the latter seeming more enthusiastic about the day ahead.