~Chapter 8~

Aelara had spent the three days she was in Kings Landing with Helaena and her children Jaehearys, and Jaehaera. Both of the children took kindly to Aelara, particularly Jaehaera who would play with the fabric of the princess's skirts. 

Aelara was currently sitting in the library contently reading an old book on the dragons of Valyria, when Helaena sighed loudly plucking the book out of Aelaras hands. I can not even begin to guess why you like reading these books. They are so boorish."

"Well." Aelara said snatching the book back, "I find them interesting." 

"It is such a beautiful day, please take the book with you and finish it in your chambers, or maybe you could read to the children, Jaehaera always seems to listen whenever you speak. But we should be outside enjoying this day rather than being cooped up in this old library." 

Aelara could not help but agree with her cousin, the day was beautiful, with clear skys and a cool breeze. "Fine, but I will be taking this with me." Aelara said patting the leather-bound book in her hand. 

The two women made their way down the tall winding steps from the library, into the training courtyard where an array of knights and Lords were training with almost every weapon imaginable. 

A large crowd had gathered in a large circle in the far corner of the yard. 

Helaena grabbed Aelaras arm dragging her over to investigate the scene. Once those around them had seen the famed white Targaryen hair they stepped aside for the two women giving them ample space rather than squashing in with all the rest of the Knights and Lords.

Aelara immediately knew why such a crowd had gathered.

Aemond Targaryen was sparing with a Knight of the Kingsguard. The knight was wielding an oddly shaped sword that had a bend in its middle, whilst Aemond wheeled his usual sword. 

Aelara could not help but stare at the prince in amazement. His movements were so smooth but still held power, deflecting attacks with ease. 

The duel was over shortly as Aemond had disarmed the knight in one fluid movement sending the strange weapon scattering across the ground. 

"Sister. Cousin. Have you come to watch the show?" Aemond smirked as he looked over at the two women. 

"Yes. and I must say it was rather impressive." Heleana spoke with a joyful tone. 

Aemond had hardly spoken to Aelara in the last few days, only brief greetings or farewells as he often left a room just as Aelara entered. 

"And you cousin? Did you enjoy the show?" He said with a cocky smirk plastered on his face. 

Aelara rolled her eyes and asked, "What kind of sword was that Knight wielding?" 

"Ahh yes, it is a Dothraki weapon Not quite an Arakh but very similar." 

Aelara only hummed in response. 

Turning to Helaena aemond complemented both of the women on their dresses, as the both of them had chosen deep red gowns that unintentionally matched. 

"Tell me. What are two fine Ladys doing on such a fine day?" 

"Well, I had to practically drag our cousin here out of the library." Helaena explained, "But we're just taking a walk about the keep." 

Aemond chuckled "I did not know you had an interest in those old books."

"I must find some way to occupy my mind dear cousin." 

A knight had called Aemond back over to the ring and the prince bowed deeply to the two women kissing each of their hands bidding them a good day. 

Aelara couldn't help but blush as soon as Aemond touched her hand, and she had begun to walk off quickly, grabbing Helaenas arm before he could notice. 

~

Aelara returned to her room late that afternoon, after spending her day with Helaenas and her children, reading children's books to the both of them and cross-stitching patterns onto fabrics with Helaena as the children played in the sun of a private courtyard. 

She entered her room expecting to dress for supper and leave shortly after but she was greeted with a small piece of parchment laying neatly on her desk. 

She took the folded parchment in her hands recognising the seal to be her father's. Unfolding the parchment carefully as to not rip it Aelara began to read the short letter from her father.

Aelara, 

I am advising you to stay in lings Landing for the coming months, I have written to Viserys and await his response to my proposal of you taking up a semi-permanent residence in the capital. I am instructing you to report any wrongdoings to yourself or any other suspicious behaviour to myself and no one else.  Use only this raven to send letters with delicate content, but still be weary of what you write. 

- Daemon Targaryen

Aelara re-read the letter before throwing it in the hearth watching it burn. If anyone had read that letter the rumours of her being Daemon's spy would surely spread like wildfire, and she is sure she would face the consequences.