Chapter 3 - Hello Stranger

🀴

Shania sighs heavily in relief as she steps out of Wistle castle's armoury. She readjusts her fitted tunic and stretches out her arms. Since the beginning of the day, Shania has been going back and forth with a multitude of deliveries, lugging all of them on her lonesome to each location. It's standard practice, but given the still throbbing stomach wound she has been accommodating, she has shown little regard for her back which is now throbbing painfully. She stretches higher this time to soothe some of the pain, but not much is changed. So, the woman breathes in, shrugs her shoulders and goes about the rest of her day.

This was a mistake.

Not ten minutes later, Shania has sprawled herself backwards over a stone bench in the royal gardens. Her eyes are shut tightly to block the sun as she attempts to let the cold stone remedy her growing pain. But even this turns out pointless. She groans in frustration.

"Are you alright down there?" A voice breaks through Shania's preoccupied thoughts. She squints through her lashes to spot a rather amused man peering down at her.

"Yep, doing just fine," she winces. She swings up an arm and holds it out to the stranger. "Shania. Nice to meet you."

"Obi." The man lets out a chuckle before grasping her hand.

"By any chance, are you a medic?"

"Unfortunately not."

"Bugger." Shania chuckles and takes a sharp breath as she pulls her hand back down. "Hey, would you mind grabbing one of the medical staff for me? I can't exactly get up right now."

Obi's golden gaze sweeps over Shania, lingering a bit too long on the scars visible behind the hair that has fallen back to her ears. He forces his eyes away before saying, "I can't go there myself, but I can get one of the guards to."

"Perfect, thank you."

Obi scurries away to find aid, returning in quick succession with thumbs raised. He explains that someone will be along shortly. He decides to sit with Shania until someone else arrives and takes to spot on the ground by her head.

"Excuse me for asking," the female begins after a second. "But why can't you go to the herbalists? Surely you'll need to if your hurt." She attempts to move to turn on her side, even just the slightest, but fire shoots through her spine, and she retracts her movements.

"Ah, that," the raven-haired male smiles, running a gloved hand along his neck. "My master is afraid I'll scare one of the court herbalists. I had a run-in with her recently."

Shania raises a brow. "Oh? Who's your master?"

"Prince Zen. He's protective of Little Red. So I can't go near her."

"Little Red—you love your nicknames, don't you?" Shania barks out a laugh, spots forming in her peripheral. "What do I need to do to get one?"

Obi hums in thought but doesn't say anything.

"Oh, come on—"

"I don't know you yet; maybe if we meet again."

Shania smiles and goes to speak again but halts her words, noticing Obi's eyes snap to the horizon in a direction she cannot see. He straightens up and turns to make his escape.

"Sorry, Miss, but I'll be leaving now. Little Red is here for you." And before Shania gets a moment to reply, Obi has already slunk his way up the nearest tree. Though, he does take a moment to look down and wave farewell.

'I hope fate is kind then...' The brunette represses her curiosity and amusement of this man as a few seconds later, a mop of vibrant red hair makes its way into view. 'So that's Little Red,' she ponders before greeting the young girl properly. "Hello again. Seems we keep meeting in unfortunate circumstances."

"Oh, I remember you," Shirayuki states. "You were the one who helped the guards a while ago."

"That's me. You're Shi...Shirayuki?"

"Yes. I was told you couldn't move."

"Not exactly. I've strained my back badly, so I can't get up. But I still have the mobility of all my other limbs."

"Alright, that's good. I have some medication to help with the pain, but you will have to wait here a bit longer until we can get you on a stretcher."

"I can live with that. Thank you."

"Just rest up and try not to move," Shirayuki says as she packs up the small bottles by Shania's bedside. "I'll come to check on you again in the morning."

"You're the boss," the brunette replies. She smiles graciously as Shirayuki toddles off to her office, shutting the door behind her. Unlike her last visit, Shania is in a small room secluded from the large hall full of beds. This room still has some mattresses, but they are few and unoccupied, so she is now alone with the dim light of the sunset peaking through the window behind her. Shania sighs and tries shuffling herself lower down the mattress, but the shot of pain stops her again. Although much lighter than earlier, the fiery jolt forces a hiss from her lips.

"Still in pain, I see," a voice states from the window. Shania spins her head around, nearly giving herself whiplash, to land her eyes upon Obi, crouched comfortably on the windowsill. A smile graces her lips, and her shoulders relax.

"You caught me off guard," she says.

Obi kicks his legs over the windowsill and sits on the frame instead, chuckling. "It was amusing to see. Did little red fix you up well enough?"

"She did what she could, yes. I've put my back out, is all, so she told me to rest and not overwork it for a few days. But that's easier said than done with where I work."

"Where's that?"

"I'm a blacksmith at Ash'n'Fire Forge. If you happen to go past, you'll see me there every day."

"Is that where you got your scar?"

Shania pauses for a moment, hesitation clear in her eyes an she mutters out a quiet, "Yeah." She pushes back a chunk of her hair to reveal more of the wound, which has taken a large section of the hair by her ear. "It's hard to cover, but I make do with a fringe."

"It's working, if that helps," Obi reassures. Shania smiles in thanks and lets out a wide yawn which Obi responds to with a snort, "Sorry for keeping you up. I'll let you rest. Till next time, Miss." And with that, he hops back through the window and out of sight. The woman tries to spot him in the darkness but with no luck. She gives in and lays herself back down with difficulty, holding her small necklace delicately in hand, letting her body submit to the flood of sleep.

"Goodnight Teulk, Sophia... Rest well."

🀴

How wonderful to finally meet the star of this book. It was long awaited (well, only two chapters awaited, but thats long enough.)

I really hope you are all enjoying the story so far, because im loving writing it!

Well enough with that, Ill see you all in the next one! Bye~