Chapter 12 - Contemplation

Chapter 12 — Contemplation

🁡

Obi walks the paths of the grounds of Whistal castle, his steps echoing in the silence. The grounds are quiet, save for the occasional rustling of leaves in the wind. The memory of his recent nightmare still lingers in his mind, and despite his exhaustion, he couldn't bring himself to sleep. He knows that if he closes his eyes, the images will return, haunting him once again, and he'll do anything to avoid seeing those images again.

As he wanders aimlessly through the outermost hallway and out to the surrounding area, he finds himself drawn to the herbal gardens. The low-hanging sun casts an orange glow over the dew-covered grounds. It's a peaceful scene, one that seems to offer solace to his troubled soul. He leans against the metal railing, gazing out at the colourful stretch of plants. He spends a lot of time here when not out on errands for his master. Most of the time he watches Shirayuki as she tends to the crops.

The fresh morning breeze is cool against his skin, and Obi welcomes the sensation. His thoughts drift to Shania, the fiery blacksmith who has captured his attention. She is strong and independent, but he can see the pain in her eyes and Obi couldn't help but wonder what had forced her up last night. What memories tormented her? He wants to be there for her, to offer comfort in her times of need, but part of him forces a distance between them. Their connection is undeniable, and he couldn't ignore the way his heart beats faster when she is near. But that in itself scares him.

Hours tick by and it takes until the mid-morning light paints Shania's room to finally wake the girl from her sleep. She blinks slowly, the events of the previous night still fresh in her mind and as she gains control of her muscles there's a noticeable absence of warmth that was with her through the night. Obi is gone.

With a sigh, Shania sits up in bed, her thoughts drifting back to the unexpected connection the two shared the night before. She can't deny that there has been a certain comfort in having him by her side, a feeling she hasn't experienced in a long time. But now, the room is empty, and she is left to contemplate the complexities of her disappointment over it.

She swings her legs over the side of the bed and stretches, feeling a pop from her spine before relief spreads through her body. Let out a sigh, Shania pushes herself to her feet and changes into clean clothes, having slept in slightly soot-covered attire. She's due for a bath for sure, but she can do that later. There is work to be done, blades to be forged, and a bunch of orders she didn't finish the day before.