Chapter 6 - An Audience With The Prince

🀷

"Nia!" That oh-so-familiar voice rings out among the clattering of tools and metal. Shania looks up from her binding job on a particularly fancy axe and spots a head poking happily into the Ash'n'Fire Forge, raven locks free from its usual headdress that is held in hand this time, golden eyes glinting gleefully.

"Obi?" the female inquires at the unusual sight on the windowsill. She removes her worker's gloves as she makes her way over.

"So, this is where you work," Obi says.

"Yeah. Why are you here—"

"Shania, who's your company?" One of the other blacksmiths asks. The heavy sounds of metal halts as most of the members of the workshop stop to question. They are rather protective of their young pupil (although a few are younger than her).

"A friend from the castle," Obi replies and waves happily like a child, legs swinging. Shania just nods along as eyes turn to her for approval. After the confirmation, the hammering of metal continues. "It's hot in here."

"Yes, that's the norm here. I would stay out there if I were you."

"What are you working on?"

"An engagement present."

Obi pauses in shock. "I didn't know you were engaged?"

"Oh—no, no! Not me!" Shania lets out a burst of laughter, and Obi relaxes with an apologetic rub of his neck. "This is a commission from the butcher across the road." She points in the direction of the shop and waves as the male she speaks of spots her looking.

"Ah..."Obi says, trailing off. "When do you get off work?"

Shania checks the time. "About an hour? Was there something you needed?"

"I'm bored. But I'll wait for you to finish." The male lounges in the wooden frame of the window and glances down as Shania's hands go back to work.

"Alright," she replies. "As long as you don't distract me, sit as long as you'd like. After, you can come drop some deliveries off at the castle with me." Obi doesn't seem as amused by that but nods anyways.

Blistered knuckles knock upon the entrance to the Herbalist's office. The surface is pristine and solid, and Shania takes a few minutes to admire its odd gleam as she awaits a member of staff. Her eyes glance over to Obi sitting in a tree, hiding. She chuckles before a gentleman opens the door, eyes almost unviewable under his headdress. He acknowledges Shania with a kind nod, stepping away to let her inside. A 'thank you' is passed quickly before she enters.

"Shania?" The friendly redhead questions as she spots her acquaintance step through the door.

"Good morning, Shirayuki!" The female greets. She takes from her back a tiny bag that Shirayuki has overlooked. She places it down on a bench, wood and chiming metal resounding inside. "Chier Garake ordered some custom supplies—odd ones at that—and told me to deliver them to you, as she is currently 'unavailable'."

"Oh, yes. I was told. But I didn't know you would be making the supplies for us. I thought you only worked on weaponry."

"Mostly, yes. But we do take up other jobs—specifically from the castle—that I make. My training field is pretty extensive."

Shirayuki takes up the supply bag and pulls out a few utensils, marvelling at them and spacing each out along the workspace.

"Sorry for the drop and run, but I have places to be. It was great to see you again."

"Oh, yes, of course. Goodbye for now."

Shania waves from the door before strutting over to the foot of the tree Obi is occupying. She stares up and cocks her head to the side, saying, "Still not allowed to see her are we?"

"I've already broken the rule once while saving her from a nasty fall," Obi states, hopping down beside the female. "I don't want to test the boundary any further."

"What a night in shining... leather?" Shania laughs. Obi ruffles her hair, and in response, she pulls the male's headdress over his eyes.

"Funny."

"I know, and absolute comedian."

"You should join a circus."

"Ha, ha."

Shania and Obi walk side by side, a fair few inches apart, laughing and joking back through the castle grounds. Although Obi's posture remains loose and fluid, his eyes dart rapidly around the halls as they exit the gardens. His jaw tenses for a moment, a mere millisecond, for if she wasn't studying his face, Shania would have missed it entirely. She slows her pace and so does Obi.

"Obi, is everything alright?" She asks.

The male glances at Shania hesitantly, but replies with a smile. "Yes... I need to leave you for a bit. Head to the Master's office. I will meet you there."

Shania hesitates but seeing the narrowed look in the ex-assassin's eyes makes her obey. She walks away in quick succession, tracking her way to Zen's office within ten minutes. On the way, she is halted by a guard dressed differently than the others.

"Are you Miss Shania Fern?" He asks.

"Who is asking?" She shoots back.

"The First Prince, Miss Fern. He is requesting your presents."

Shania feels a jolt through her system. Her feet feel glued to the floor as she blinks slowly. 'Prince Izana? It's been a while since he has been back.' She ponders hurridly, noting how long she is taking to respond. "Please let him know I must visit Prince Zen first, but I will—"

"There is no need, Miss. The Second Prince has been called for an audience as well."

"Right... please lead the way then..."

Once the large wooden doors open revealing a grand room, Shania is allowed a perfect view of Izana's back, Shirayuki standing wide-eyed next to him and Kiki and Mitsuhide beside Zen, whose scowl is directed to only one man. Shania has to clear her throat before the gathering turns to her. Zen's eyes widen slightly at who is entering, turning them back to his brother momentarily before offering Shania a smile.

"Your Highnesses," she greets.

Izana turns his head to look at the female, followed soon after by the rest of his form. Shania gets a good look at a face she has seen numerous times before. His eyes' glowing authority never ceases to amaze, constantly hinting he knows something others do not—at this moment, this could very much be true.

"Miss Fern, how nice of you to join us," Izana greets first, before gesturing to Zen. "You must be busy, no?" Zen doesn't reply. "...Brother."

"Yes, we will be leaving," Zen replies stiffly. Shania sighs softly as she watches the second prince step towards Shirayuki, whispering into her ear momentarily before swiftly leaving. "Good day, brother. Shania."

The room feels cramped as the silent tension rises, Shirayuki and Shania awaiting Prince Izana's next words. He takes his time before speaking, addressing the blacksmith first. "It's been some time, hasn't it, Shania?"