Chapter 13 - Prince Raj

Chapter 13 — Prince Raj

🁙🀺

As Shania had been informed, Prince Izana's noble gathering has come to fruition. She was sent an invitation from the royal himself, no doubt to discuss personal matters or perchance just to catch up—like he had stated. Regardless of his reasonings, Shania refuses to go, instead, she spends her time in her corner of the forge, soot-covered and working hard.

"You sure you ain't gonna go?" Her fellow blacksmith, Owen, leans over her shoulder, watching as she leather wraps a freshly finished sword handle.

Shania isn't surprised that word has gotten to her coworkers about her invitation, as Mare is never one to keep his mouth shut when he is concerned about his young ones. But, to get out this quick he must have gone straight to the others once Shania was done getting counselling from him over the letter.

"I'm sure," she replies. "I'll feel uncomfortable there—it's not my place."

"You're missin' out on finding a wealthy husband."

"I'm not in the market, thanks."

"Nah, she's already got that black-haired guy—what's his name again?" Clara pipes up this time, putting in their two cents.

"Obi, isn't it?" Owen replies, pressing his weight on Shania's poor body.

"Wrong idea," Shania answers shortly, trying to hold the 250-odd pounds of pure muscle from crushing her. "Dude, I can't breathe."

"Aight, off, Owen!" Mare calls across the room, footsteps heavy as he makes his way over. He swats the large man away with a spare glove, turning to Shania once relieved of her burden. "You're on lunch, so get. I don't wanna see you for the next few hours. Go hang with your guy friend or whatever he is." He flicks his head in the direction of the door.

Shania huffs in amusement but hurries to remove her gear once she notices the glare she is getting from her superior. She walks out the door minutes later, slightly cleaner than before and in much nicer clothing. She contemplates what to do with her time, not expecting to have such a long break, eventually settling on going to visit Shirayuki. The redhead is very kind to Shania any time she stops by, and on occasion, the two sit together to eat. Maybe today she can snag Shirayuki away for long enough to do just that.

"At times like this, I wish I were stationed inside the palace..."

Overhearing the voices of the gate guards, Shania and Shirayuki perk up as they watch them hurry their way to their posts. Shirayuki's eyes seem to glaze over for a few moments as they travel to look over the castle grounds. She has been out of sorts all day, something that Shania has noticed since the moment she stepped through the doors of the herbalist building. The two had their lunch together in reasonable comfort despite the lack of flowing conversation, and have been wandering the gardens since. Currently, they are roaming a grassy slope, a short metal fence dividing them from the path the guards walk.

"Something catch your interest?" A familiar, playful trill breaks the two girls from their thoughts as they turn to see the commonly spirited ex-assassin lounging calmy on the grass.

"Oh, it's just you..." Shirayuki breathes after the oddly harsh scare. Shania quirks a brow at the first interaction she has witnessed between the two. With how concerned Obi has been about it all, Shania expected a bigger reaction from Shirayuki. But no, a startled jump and an awkward smile is what she offers.

"Master and his pals are acting strange." Obi rocks himself forward before getting to his feet, an air of ease ever-present. He grins happily at the two before him, looking at Shania with a cheeky nod before addressing Shirayuki. "I hear you come from Tanbarun. You wouldn't happen to know Prince Raj would you?"