Chapter 16 - Elusive Eyes

Chapter 16 — Elusive Eyes

🁙🁉

Three days more pass, each one feeling longer and more restless than the last. Shania continues her work diligently, making and delivering weapons and interacting with the castle's residents as needed, all while the persistent worry about Obi gnaws at the back of her mind. It feels like an eternity since she last saw him.

The blacksmith's shop door creeks as Shania enters. Her fellow blacksmiths nod in greeting as she goes about her business. As the day wears on, Shania's worry intensifies. She asks around discreetly, inquiring if anyone has seen the elusive royal messenger, but the responses are vague and unhelpful.

When evening falls, and Shania finally breaks from her work, she can no longer ignore the unease settled deep within her chest. She paces her room, her footsteps echoing in the quiet space. Her mind races, considering all the possibilities. What could have kept Obi away for this long? This could all be excused by a mission he was sent on, but she has her doubts. The events of the past few days, especially the meeting with Prince Izana, have left her with unanswered questions. Obi became noticeably on edge the moment he found out who she used to be and what happened to the castle on that fateful night. She also knows who he used to be—what work he used to perform.

Shania places herself down on the old chair by her window, arms crossed, a hand searching for her necklace. She rubs circles on the metal surface, eyes closing as she takes deep, calming breaths.

About an hour later, after trying desperately to keep her head levelled, she huffs to her feet, pulling on a coat. If she can't keep her mind from looking for answers, she'll have to brute force them from someone else.

As she navigates the castle corridors, Shania's steps are purposeful but cautious. She doesn't want to draw unnecessary attention to herself. She has her suspicions about what might be bothering Obi, but she needs to hear it from him.

Finally, as she turns a corner, she spots a familiar figure in the distance. It's Obi, unmistakably him, leaning casually against a stone pillar, a bread bun in his hand, bites taken out of one side. Relief washes over her, and she quickens her pace to reach him.

"Obi!" Shania calls out, her voice tinged with both relief and concern.

But as she approaches, she falters at Obi's expression. His eyes, which had been filled with an almost playful mischief, now carry a hint of discomfort. He straightens up, pushing away from the pillar.

"Shania," he says, his voice calm but distant. "I didn't expect to run into you. Pretty late isn't it to be working?"

Shania's brow furrows. "I've been looking for you for days. Where have you been?"

Obi hesitates, his gaze flickering away from her. "Busy..."

She narrows her eyes, not satisfied with his response. "Busy with what, exactly?"

A tense silence hangs between them for a moment.

"Master has had more jobs for me recently and Little Red has been putting me to work in the gardens too. Work's keeping me on my toes," he says. There's a mixture of worry and regret in his eyes as they stare off to the side. "Speaking of, I gotta report to Master. See you around, Miss."

With that, Obi turns away, his footsteps echoing as he walks briskly down the corridor, leaving Shania standing there, her heart heavy. She watches him disappear around a corner, knowing whatever has been keeping Obi away is more complicated than he's letting on.

'That was a lame excuse...'

Days turn into weeks and weeks into months. Shania is yet to see Obi again. She was right, she was being ignored. On multiple occasions she has tried seeking him out, visiting his favourite nap spots, stalking the herbalist gardens, and even going as far as asking Zen about his whereabouts. But, nothing, absolutely nothing has come from all her work. She is saddened by Obi's blatant lies and avoidance, and she does nothing to hide it. On multiple occasions, her co-workers have come to her side, asking questions, and offering reassuring words. But none of them knows what ails her. At least that much she has kept under wraps.

Shania understands exactly why Obi is doing this. She is smart enough to put two and two together and to ignore what she knows and pretend he is merely busy would only make matters worse. Both of their past ties have made their bond fragile and perhaps Obi is scared of that. She wishes to confront him about it all, wipe the slate clean and start over. But without knowing where he is, Shania has no hope.

Her heart clenches tightly, and she can't help the pained expression that overtakes her face.

"Focus!" Mare Macknol shouts tiredly, whacking a spare glove over Shania's masked head. The female lets out a shout of indignation, nearly dropping the shield already held loosely in her hands. She lifts up the protective metal faceplate, scowling at her boss who squints back at her. "Get youre head out of them clouds, girl. You've been up there for days."

"Yeah, yeah," she counters. "I'm here, I'm working, it's fine." But she isn't fine, she feels like a piece of her has been torn from her along with her friend. It's like her whole world feels empty. She has other friends, other people who care for her... But not like he did.

Is this normal?

The glove comes down again, a bit harder this time and the shield finally slips from Shania's hands, falling on her foot. She lets out a gurgle of curses, gripping the toe of her shoe tightly.

"Whoops. Guess you can't work right now. Off you go."

Shania sends Mare a glare, going to speak, but shuts her mouth at the stare that is returned. She huffily pulls off her work apparel and storms—with effort on a sore foot—to her room.

She shuts the door tight, frustration and pain coursing through every part of her body. A pillow is lobbed across the room and a pair of shoes hits the ceiling. The delicate leather book on her desk now lays open on the floor, and her favourite wooden chair lies on its side. When she turns to slam her window shutters, then and only then her rampage halts. From across the busy street outside, within the depths of an ally, two eyes stare up at her. Not a second later they are blinked out of sight.