A S T R A Y

💫

💫

“So he is coming back,” I took a step towards the lift, “for good?” My friend and my colleague, Aditya Ahuja nodded. “But why? Didn't he announce that he would never set foot here?”

Aditya laughed, “Well, someone needs to put their head in the guillotine. Someone needs to claim that throne.”

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, “Right!”

“No seriously,” he shrugged, “I am not cut out for that job, Suman, you know me. It is a huge responsibility and I am simply not interested in jeopardising my life. I am happy with the way everything is. Sir wants to retire and Mom is not doing well these days. If he wouldn't our firm would simply be handed to the board members and you know it won't be a good idea. And moreover, we need a face, a young chief legal officer. Sir will be here as a non-active chairman. He can guide him from time to time.”

We stepped out of the lift, “He hates your Sir too.” An uncertain laugh barked out of me, “It's still weird that you call your stepfather Sir, you know.”

“At least, I call him something. Not like him, who doesn't address Sir or Mom by anything.” 

💫

I couldn't concentrate. 

I was drafting a contract for one of our important clients, yet, my thoughts were straying. How life changes. Once upon a time a person who I was best friends with, who I thought would always be in my life, my partner, was coming back from California, and I simply couldn't wrap my head around that news.

Shravan Malhotra — I'd be seeing him after ten long years.

The day I first met him was inked permanently in my memory. I was eleven years old. Aditya Ahuja, my neighbour, and a friend came to play with me. But for some reason, he was sad. Upon asking he said, his mother Nirmala Ahuja was remarrying, and that man and his son would be moving here. The man, Ramnath Malhotra, was a lawyer just like Nirmala Aunty, and they worked together in a law firm. His son, Shravan was three years older than both of us. 

Aditya being easy in nature, quite liked the fact that he wouldn't be alone in this misery, “At least I'll have a brother/friend.” but how wrong he was. Shravan couldn't be the brother or friend to him, the way Adi wanted. 

💫

“Suman, the one I wanted to meet now.” It seemed I wasn't the only one who was late for the board meeting regarding Shravan’s arrival. All the partners and senior associates were to attend that meeting. 

It seemed, all the board members were not really happy about the sudden change. Ramnath Uncle and Nirmala Aunty were the figureheads of the Ahuja and Malhotra firm. If they step aside, it would be difficult to hold the market for the firm.

“Hello, Uncle.” I smiled as both of us strode towards the meeting room.

“I wanted to ask you. What do you think about Shravan’s takeover? I need your unbiased opinion. Board members are simply just headless chickens. A little change and they are ready to shit their pants.” I laughed out loud. Ramnath Uncle was famously known for his blunt remarks. 

“If you think it's a good idea, then that's it.”

Ramanth Uncle paused before the opaque door, “I think it is. But, it's his temper I am not sure of. If things aren't in his favour, he wouldn't blink an eye to flip the world around him. Nirmala and I have managed this firm with as much humanity as possible. But Shravan is,” he sighed, “whatever, we'll see.”

Aditya already mentioned how Shravan was unhappy with the situation. Ramnath Uncle had to emotionally blackmail him to come to India. Shravan would fight tooth and nail in every given situation.

Ramnath Uncle weaved magic with his words. Board members were assured that Shravan would only do good for the firm. But when Aditya shared a knowing look with him, it was certain that he himself didn't believe a word he had spoken.

💫

Monday arrived earlier than necessary. The eerie silence in the office was the telltale sign of the lull before the storm. 

The clock chimed telling the office it was nine in the morning, and with that, the lift dinged followed by the brutal thuds of footsteps. Ramnath Uncle stepped in first, ushering the man, who was more robust than him. He filled the doorway with such determination, that would put a lion to shame. 

Grace, class, and arrogance rolled off of his broad stature. Light brown eyes, which used to speak volumes once, were so cold now that one would tell his mind had severed every relation with his emotions. Those near black eyes from this distance surveyed the floor as though he was looking for something or rather someone. 

And the moment I got his attention, I knew, the manipulative, emotionless, yet brilliant mind of Shravan Malhotra had already conjured up the torments he was going to unleash on me — he still hadn't forgiven me.

💫

Here's the first chapter. It's been good to be back. And the way you all welcomed me. I am overwhelmed.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. It means a lot. 💕

Let me know, your thoughts. I am out of practice for a long time. So my writing would take time to adjust.

And about Destined, now that I am back I'll update that too. But when I have no idea.

Don't forget to vote-comment.

Until next time.