A P P E A L

Beads of perspiration adorned my face as I looked in the mirror

Beads of perspiration adorned my face as I looked in the mirror. Seven fifty five the clock chimed and I knew Shravan was already at the main gate, simply passing the last five minutes just to appear sharp on time.

All but I had five minutes between Shravan and my daughter. The daughter who had no idea what was going to hit us. All I could muster was to tell her we would be expecting a guest at eight for dinner.

She simply smiled and nodded. Sanvi - my beautiful daughter was quiet and mature for her age. She would simply see through the charades, and if she understood the guest was no one else but her father, I didn't know what to expect of her reaction.

She was exactly like Shravan, master of masking her feelings. If I sat and went through her ten years of life - every moment she reminded me of her father. Same intelligent light brown, the same cleft in her chin, the same high cheekbones, the same gait when she would tilt her head if something interested her, same eating habits.

Even a blind could tell she was more Shravan than me. And that's what scared me the most. What if she chose her father over me? What if the last ten years were not enough for her to choose me?

A sharp and shrill sound of the doorbell took my breath away. With a beating heart, I walked out of the washroom and went toward the door.

Shravan looked every bit as mighty as he was. His broad shoulders almost touched both sides of the door. His head was craned forward to avoid hitting it with the top of the door.

A laugh gargled in my throat, it had always been like this. How he used to complain to Nanu, that he should do something about the door. And how Nanu used to joke that it was not his fault that he had become a Yeti.

And he remembered it too. The way a small smile lingered at both the corners of his lips and his eyes warmed. Shravan sighed as he shook his head, "I am sorry about Nanu. If I knew I would have been here." His voice was soft caressing me just like it used to so many years ago.

I stepped aside, "No, you wouldn't. You and I both know that." He took a long breath, "And, one more thing, I haven't told Sanvi about you. All I said is that we are having a guest. Just see first how she reacts to you. Then we will decide how to proceed with all these."

I expected a solid lashout, but none came. He nodded, "I understand. Anything I need to know before meeting her?"

It amazed me how even after so many years his caring side still made my heart flutter. I smiled, "No. She is just shy." Shravan followed me to the dining area, where Sanvi was already in her seat.

The scene played in slow motion. Sanvi slowly looked up from the book she was holding. Her eyes darted from me to the tall figure behind me.

I could see how her eyes took in Shravan as he came to stand by my side. I could hear the slight hitch in Shravan's breath. I knew he was trying not to gasp or startle Sanvi with any sudden emotional outburst.