A L O O F

💫

Ramnath Uncle introduced Shravan to everyone and he looked nothing but bored. Both of his hands were casually hidden in his both side pant pockets. But if one looked carefully one wouldn't miss the tight fists inside those pockets. He was barely constraining himself.

When they came in front of my working table, Ramnath Uncle smiled broadly, “I don't think she needs any introduction, I am sure, you remember Suman.”

Shravan furrowed his eyebrows, “Suman – who?” 

When Ramnath Uncle looked greatly appalled and ashamed, Shravan was amused, “Shravan, how could you,”

“It's okay, Uncle. Ten years can take a toll on anyone's memory. Not a big deal.” I said with a smile, a smile I knew would leave Shravan fuming. And I was not disappointed. 

He lashed, “Uncle?! Fraternising with your boss, Miss Suman! Is that how you got your job?”

“Shravan!” Ramnath Uncle's low rumble shook the very core of the office, “You are forgetting if it weren't for Suman’s grandfather we all wouldn't be standing here.” He hissed, “‘Fraternising with the boss’ is an interesting choice of words albeit her excellent result needs no such thing, and from time to time she has proved herself to be a valuable asset to this firm.”

Shravan sighed dramatically, then smiled politely, “My bad, I am sorry, I shouldn't have said that about someone I don't know at all.”

“It's okay, Sir. I understand. Hopefully, I'll be able to prove my worth to you, soon.”

With an evil gleam in his eyes, Shravan gave me a lopsided smile, “I’ll look forward to it.” 

💫

“That went well.” Aditya nudged me with his shoulder, as we lazily strolled towards the cafeteria. The past couple of hours were especially hard for me. 

Shravan ordered files of cases, contracts, and takeovers. That man worked like a beast. At first, I thought he was simply bluffing. One man can never go through so many files without taking a break. But how wrong I was. He discussed the cases as if he had been working here for a long time. 

He particularly belittled me in every possible situation. He mocked, chided, and embarrassed me relentlessly, and this was just his first day in this office. 

I sighed, “He still hasn't forgiven me,” I sipped my coffee, “And I doubt he ever will.”

“At least one thing hasn't changed about him. He has always been like this. Holding grudges forever is his forte.” Aditya didn't look like he was worried at all by how he was wolfing down the double burger. “He is acting like a jerk because he knows that will bother you. You stop reacting. He will start behaving.”

I gave him a pointed look, “When exactly did I react?”

“Oh, verbally maybe not. But your eyes, Suman, they say everything that's on your mind.” He gulped down his last chew, “You might want to work on that. But again it's Shravan we are talking about. You cannot not react to him.”

“Gee, thanks for the encouragement!” 

Aditya laughed out loud, “Happy to be your help, you know I love you.”

“I love you, too, my hero.” Rolling my eyes, I poked him on the arm, “By the way,” there was a sudden commotion at the entrance. As we jolted around our seats, we saw Shravan barreling out, almost taking the glass door of the cafeteria off its hinges.

💫

Shravan was simply going on a stampede. Barking orders every now and then; it's been just a week and he already made Lisa, the girl who was appointed to be his assistant, cry. She was on the verge of sitting on the floor holding her head as she sobbed inconsolably. 

And that's not where it ended.

One of our senior associates, Mr. Bagga, was sweating when he came out of Shravan’s cabin. “Never in my life have I been humiliated like this.” He loosened his tie, “If this continues,” shaking his head, he grabbed his glass of water. 

The next call came for me. I was asked to bring a contract I had been drafting. I already emailed him a copy, yet he wanted hard copies of it. And mind it, he had a printer in his cabin.

“Sir, the copies.” I placed the five sets of copies on his table carefully. Shravan didn't look up at me, as he was typing away a storm on his laptop. Sensing, he wasn't going to talk, I turned toward the door.

“Sit.” He commanded. Gingerly I walked to the chair and sat. He didn't speak again. He didn't look at me. 

After sitting there like an idiot for almost ten minutes, “Is there something you want to talk about?” Again, no reply. I waited for another five minutes, I bristled at his rudeness, “If you have nothing to say, then I shall go back to my work.”

“Work? Like what, declaring others heroes or professing love?” Finally, he looked toward me. His eyes were full of disgust. Shravan leaned back in his chair casually. “Why am I again convinced that you are here because of,” he air-quoted, “‘fraternising’ with your boss and his family?”

That had me standing on my feet instantly, “You are crossing your limits.”

“Am I?” 

“Yes, you are. Who I talk to, who I declare my hero, or who I profess my love to is not your concern.” I fumed, “Just because you are angry, that doesn't mean you will take it out on the people who have done nothing.”

“Get out.” He barked.

There was something so sad in his eyes, that I almost reconsidered talking to him politely, “Shravan,” and he blinked, and all his sadness transformed into plain rage.

“Get out.” and with that our conversation ended just like it started.

💫

Here comes another update. Yes, you may have noticed the chapters are short as I am prone to write long chapters.

But, if I stick to writing long chapters then I won't be able to post it, and eventually I'll lose interest as my son needs full attention. I can only write when he sleeps, or goes to school.

So bear with the short chapters. But I'll update regularly. That I can. Promise.

Hope to see you all in the comments, don't forget to tell me your thoughts.

Until, next time. 💕